Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Best Heads For MIJ 3 Ply Kit?

Not really buying John's tuning method, here is why. Natural resonance and pitch is more complex than simply being based on the naked shell. As you add hardware, the overall mass and density of the drum obviously changes. This will change the fundamental pitch and resonance.

The fundamental might be a C# on the naked shell, but once you add hardware, the fundamental may go up or down (memory no longer serves). In any case it definitely will change.

I think you will have much better luck checking the fundamental with all hardware attached. Here is another major factor, mounting systems. Those old MIJs are capable of sounding terrific, but many of the mounting systems just plain sucked.

I've done experiments and was shocked at the results. I had some MIJ drums that sounded great off the mounts, I timed the resonance of the fundamental pitch which had to my ear a resonance of about 4 1/2 seconds before the fundamental was no longer discernable, but as soon as I mounted it using the early 70's mount that dropped to about 1 1/2 seconds. That's a HUGE difference. The drum that sounded beautiful and resonant suddenly sounded like a cardboard box.

I've tried the same thing with more modern mounting systems and found a much smaller drop in resonance, but a significant one nonetheless, from now on I will only use rim mounts. With them there is VERY little resonance degradation. And that all will be true regardless of the heads you choose.

Georgia Phil Custom Drumworks
https://www.GeorgiaPhil.com

Drum Wrap, Drum Heads, Drum Accessories
https://www.StuffForDrummers.com
Posted on 12 years ago

Mozart may very well be correct - not disputing it. I just have had enough success with my method to FIND that pitch. When you have a good idea of where it is, it is alot easier to find when you get to the stage of fine tuning the heads. ...with my experience evidently the bare shell gets you close enough to find it when fine tuning the heads. I would not be surprised if there aren't some videos out there floating around that teach this (perhaps from DW from about 10-15 years ago?).

I'm sorry.....I forgot to mention suspension mounting. Yeah, I have had to invest some money in mounting when I discovered suspension mounting. It does make a HUGE difference. WARNING: While they are nice simple and compact, I have heard bad things about the Pearl ISS mounts. They may (and I warn with a "may") be harmless on a lighter drum, at the same time, I have heard (read) several accounts of this mounting warping/bending/damaging rims. I have one of their Optimounts, which works well, but also have the RIMS mounts as well (and Gibralter's version of it) (and ddrum's stock version of it). It is nice that many kits today come stock with that mounting. If you have not added this HW to your MIJ yet, get excited and ready for a big improvement to how well your kit sounds (then go and buy some). Pearl or Gibraltar Suspension feet (big, rubber) for FTs work very well and only cost about $10 for a set of 3. I am so glad I discovered those before I paid like $75 on the Gauger style suspension mounting systems for those!

One more thing is WOOD hoops on the BD. I went about 25 years with my steel ones on my first MIJ and was blown away when I tried some wood hoops on it that came on another MIJ I bought....just experimenting one day with it. I have since bought wood hoops to replace them on 2 kits and have been blown away at how much of a difference it makes. I understand that it essentially acts as if it were extending the shell and also resonates so much better than steel. Note: WOOD hoops can be bought from HB drums brand new that are birch that is stained.....for like $18 each. This is a great deal - but know that they have no inlay cut into them. I have thought about asking them if they would sell them with an inlay instead of the nice stain job, but have not needed anymore wood hoops......yet.

So much to do to improve our MIJs, so little time! It is very exciting to know that we CAN make these kits sound great though. The last thing I am yet to do is treat the insides of the shells. I have not decided what treatment to try and am a bit nervous to do so honestly....you can't exactly undo it (at least not very easily if at all). I speak of lacquer, Tung oil, even Pledge, (more options)???

This is turning out to be a very fun and hopefully informative thread......

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

Olimpass,

WOW, that crash on the far right is the cleanest cymbal I have seen in a while! But what I just noticed (surely overlooked) is the size of that Ride!!! What is that, like a 24 or 26 incher?? That is huge!! How does it sound?

I have owned MIJs for decades and own about 4 of them, but have never had or used any cymbal arms off the bass drum. Then I get an email from the lady I purchased my last MIJ from and she said that she discovered some arms and cymbals in a box that belong with that kit. She mailed them to me, wow, so cool! I now have mounting for every type of BD mounting on all my MIJs (I got 2 of them from her) and can't wait to use them. They are all original MIJ, but CLEAN. I prefer a 5 pc but will occasionally downsize to a 4 pc to use the mount. OR, I might just mount the 10 (add-ond that I am building for these) on the left side (on occasion).

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

From Drummerjohn333

Olimpass,WOW, that crash on the far right is the cleanest cymbal I have seen in a while! But what I just noticed (surely overlooked) is the size of that Ride!!! What is that, like a 24 or 26 incher?? That is huge!! How does it sound? John

The cymbal on the far right is a new 18" Sabian AA extra thin. The ride is a 28" AA medium and it's heavy at 5030 grams. There's no way I'd fit that on the stock bass drum mounted ride arm....lol. It'd be over the tom and wouldn't support it. The bell is ear piercing, thick and almost annoying. IMO. The cymbal does sound good though but can get very loud like a gong when you want it to.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here