Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Best heads for 67 ludwigs? (playing honkytonk music)

I just started to restore a 1967 Ludwig drumset and I was wondering what heads to use. I normally use Remo clear Powerstroke 3 (bass), clear Emperors (toms) and coated ambassador (snare). That has always been on a newer kit and playing more rock music. Now I was just given a 1967 Ludwig kit, and im playing in a honkytonk band. Will the heads that I normally use sound ok or should I swith to something else? I know heads are mostly a preference kind of thing. Im just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

jamie

Posted on 18 years ago

I play jazz and I like coated Ambassadors on everything -top and bottom. The bass drum gets a strip of felt and that's it!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Cool Thanks! Anyone else have any suggestions?

Posted on 18 years ago

Same thing for me! I guess I'm still old school in that respect.

I know a lot of guys using the Aquarian Vintage heads

in thin and or medium depending on the drum.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I play classic rock and blues with my vintage 68 Ludwig kit and I really like the satin finish of the Aquarian Modern Vintage. I know some aren't fans..but I quite enjoy the tone.

Dave

Posted on 18 years ago

I have to also give the "thumbs up" to the Remo Coated Ambassadors, top and bottom. I have an older japanese kit which has the rounded style bearing edges. I use it for blues and jazz with those heads and it sounds great. Kick actually has coated pinstripes and a felt strip on each head (plus an old Leedy adjustable, clamp on muffler). The kick still has plenty of ring and I can open it up more by backing off the muffler.

I haven't tried the Evans and Aquarian "Vintage" style heads myself, but I like the Remo's so much that I don't feel the need to try others. Or maybe I'm lazy...

Oh, and a buddy of mine has a 60's Rogers Holiday kit, and a 60's Ludwig kit - Same heads, sounds great.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks guys! I think I am going to try the Remo Coated Ambassadors, mainly because I can get them for cost. We all know mark-up is huge on drum heads.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here