Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Bent shell Slingerland Advice?

I recently picked up this Slingerland snare very cheap. I love it and I think it is a keeper but I was having some problems with the throw hitting the lugs. I thought it was bent but when I took it off, I realized that the shell was actually bent.

I read somewhere that this particular throw was so strong it sometimes bent the shell! As a quick fix, I added washers to raise it above the lugs but I wondered if anybody had good advice about how to straighten the shell?

Thanks

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

A large rounded rubber mallet will do the trick, Totally break down the drum, place it bent side down on a towel and slowly hammer the inside of the dented area until it it is repaired. Take it slow, it will work well. And while the drum is broken down you can give it good Dawn bath and bring it back to like new condition.

Posted on 15 years ago

thanks! I tried that and it worked. The strainer still hits, I wonder if there is some sort of mounting platform missing? A couple of washers work for the time being and it doesnt seem bent.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I have had this happen on a few vintage chrome snare shells. It's good you got it bent straight again. I would suggest perhaps adding a backing plate to the inside of the shell, holes drilled to match the throwoff. This spreads the tension placed on the shell when the strainer is engaged, so can help prevent the shell from bending again.

Seems like washers or gaskets on the exterior are really the only thing you can do to remedy the situation if it is still hitting, though.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi I have an identical drum to yours, lovely isn´t it?

Just one thought from my side: Are you shure the shell is bent so that it isn´t the crimpings for the snare beds that you see as a bent shell? Im asking this because the strainer lever on my drum is also very close to the lugs and i have measured mine for roundness, it was within 0,2 millimeters. Sorry my english isn´t the best but i hope you get what i mean.

Posted on 15 years ago

That strainer arm looks bent and the strainer is also missing the knurled knob at the top. (Better photos of the strainer might help)

So my guess is the strainer is messed up. It should not hit the lug. (now that the shell is fixed)

David

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here