Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Bent P-83 Lever - Repairable?

Hello, this is my first post and first Ludwig snare. I purchased a 1967 Acrolite and didn't notice the bent lever on the strainer. I can't imagine how it got bent, it seems pretty sturdy. So, the strainer moves nice and smoothly and the bend doesn't seem to affect any moving parts but I would like to know if it is possible to straighten it. I feel like I paid a fair price for the drum (not a great deal however) and the cost of buying a replacement P-83 looks to be pretty expensive. It's a shame because it's nice and shiny and not pitted. I've thought of ways to straighten it if I take it off the drum but I don't know how brittle this metal. Any suggestions on how to do it successfully or where to get a replacement lever would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way to tell if the tension bolts and hoops are original?

Here's a pic of the strainer.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Also, should there be washers between the P-83 and the outside of the shell?

See pics:

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I've only seen small round,thin flat washers between the strainer and shell on some Ludwig metal drums from the period. Don't usually see them on that era Acrolite across the board though. It is usually done for clearance between the strainer and the hoops. I have had success straightening those arms. Can do it right on the drum. Just put something behind the lower part of the arm and the shell. Just sturdy enough to give you stability while grabbing the arm up a little higher and bending back in place. I use a set of needle nose pliers with a rag to protect the finish on the arm. That one appears to be bent pretty well. Still may look a little funky when done. Just be easy and don't scratch the shell or torque the strainer too much. That aluminum shell will bend if not careful.

Posted on 7 years ago

That's a great snare drum but one thought.... As Mike points out, the washers were used to increase the clearance between strainer and hoop, so I'm thinking that someone might have bent the arm out of frustration because the throw didn't really work because it rubbed up against the hoop. I had an acro like this.

And as the original poster said, it works well, so I say leave as is.

Posted on 7 years ago

From Peteinvicta1

That's a great snare drum but one thought.... As Mike points out, the washers were used to increase the clearance between strainer and hoop, so I'm thinking that someone might have bent the arm out of frustration because the throw didn't really work because it rubbed up against the hoop. I had an acro like this. And as the original poster said, it works well, so I say leave as is.

+1. I also thought that it may have been bent that way for a utility purpose. Previous owner may have played music that required turning the snares on and off quite often.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that I might hear the recommendation of leaving it alone if it functions well. Unfortunately for me I've never been one to leave well enough alone. Although, it's excellent advice.

Had I noticed the bend I wouldn't have bought the drum, certainly not for the price I paid. I had already purchased Ludwig heads and snare cord to bring it back to it's original look. Then it showed up with this wonky throw-off lever. Bummer.

Is it possible to tell if the tension rods and hoops are original?

Posted on 7 years ago

I would say, take it off, straighten it back to stock, no risk to shell damage by taking it off. it will be a little weaker after two bends? if you chose to leave it in that outword condition, you run the risk of it being snagged and bent into a compound angle, more problems.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes, take it off the drum, clamp the inside between two blocks and bend it to where you want it. Wrap flat pliers with a cloth.

As mentioned, that`s soft steel and may fatigue to the breaking point if you play with it while bending.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Yep, I my plan was to take it off the shell. I've also noticed that back when this strainer was available for purchase, they sold most of the pieces separately. Therefore it's possible to take it apart. It looks like the lever is held on by a couple e-clips. I will likely disassemble it so that I can work only the lever and not inadvertently put pressure on the rest of the mechanism.

Posted on 7 years ago

If you don't want to pay a boat load for an entire strainer, I would recommend going to Nick Hopkin and picking up only the arm. I had one also bent to all get out and I got a replacement arm from Nick. For about $7.00 US + ~ $7 Shipping you get the new arm and they are easy to dismantle and replace. I believe that the P85 and P83 lever arm are interchangeable. I defer to our Guru Mike Layton on that one. In any event, here is a link to Nick's page as he has them in stock.

http://www.nickhopkindrums.com/ludwig-p85-lever.html

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago