Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Beltone Snare Drum?

Beltone Snare Drum?

I just acquired this drum. It seems to be solid aluminum.Any ideas guys and girls? It was found in the attic of a restaurant on Old Cape Cod.Has Metal flesh hoops. Eight vent holes, 10 tuners. need some info. Anyone ever heard of this company?

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

From Liam Hogg

Beltone Snare Drum?I just acquired this drum. It seems to be solid aluminum.Any ideas guys and girls? It was found in the attic of a restaurant on Old Cape Cod.Has Metal flesh hoops. Eight vent holes, 10 tuners. need some info. Anyone ever heard of this company?

Looks like a Geisler drum...can we see a close up of the badge?

Mike Curotto

Posted on 15 years ago

There is this badge on the badge page.

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/badges/misc/supertone.jpg[/IMG]

and the Beltone mentioned above.

a private label by Geisler sounds like a logical answer.

A close up badge would be a great addition to the badge page

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

Is this a rarity? What do you suppose this this drum is worth? How shoul i go about cleaning it up? it has a very thick layer of dirt and grime, and I don't want to devalue it in any way.

Liam

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Start with disassembling and washing in warm soap/water (providing there are no paper tags on it). Just dish detergent, mild stuff like a biodegradable detergent.

Then you wanna try some metal cleaners. NO BRASSO, NO NOXON...it's too caustic for this, probably.

I suggest Hagertys 100...it is a silver polish and it is very non-abrasive. Pic a spot on the shell which is not very visible, and try a dab, see if it helps. If not, stronger stuff may be req'd.

[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]the badge looks almost "Duplex"-ish[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

It cleaned up pretty easily. When cleaning i noticed that it looks like there was a badge on the shell itself at one point. You can see in the picture the outline of it and there are two tiny holes where the nails went through. i also noticed that the tensioning system is different from the one in "The Slingerland book"(Pg18) and the one in Mr Currotto's book(Pg 104-105). The Slingerland has tension rods going into clips, mine is the opposite. Do you think this is pre or post Slingerland?

Any ideas on the year and value would also be appreciated!!

Liam

Posted on 15 years ago

I have no idea as to the year or value of this drum. I just wanted to say, WOW! Great find. That is a very cool snare.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Ths one is stumping the panel...but it DOES look nice al cleaned up..

it's old...20's or 30's, I'd guess.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

The Belltone "diamond" shaped logo kinda resembles one of the Duplex logos. I don't know if that has any bearing on things or not.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

There's no doubt this is a Geisler made for Sears in the 1920s or so.

Geisler also made the first drums for Slingerland before they started making their own.

Check out this Geisler:

http://www.drumfarm.com/sligei001.jpg

If the link doesn't work, google images for geisler drum

The only real difference I see is that the tops of the tension rods are longer on the Beltone...

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here