Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Before/After Pics: Lugs and Hoops

Hi guys,

I've been working on a Slingy bass drum restoration project for a while now and figured it was time to update. Here are some pics of lugs and hoops before and after restoration. For the lugs (and T rods and hardware) I first cleaned with some dawn dish soap to try to remove some of the grime that has built up over the last 50 yrs :). After, I used some Turtle wax chrome polish/cleaner and elbow grease to give it a nice shine. I was surprised at how well the rust and gunk were removed. The first pic shows the condition of the lugs before cleaning and the second pic shows after. The third pic is a close up of a cleaned lug (on left) and uncleaned lugs (on the right). To restore the hoops I first sanded down areas with chipped paint and then used some of the fine grade steel wool to rough up the rest of the hoop. I then applied 2-3 coats of the Rustoleum shiny black laquer. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results :). The fourth and fifth pics show the hoops before and after. Still working on filling some holes in the shell (19 down 1 to go!) and patching wrap as we speak. Pics to follow soon!

Thanks for all the help - you guys have been great!

James

5 attachments
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 14 years ago

Really nice job!! Can't wait to see the whole thing come together! Don't get in a hurry! :)

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job! The hoops look a hell of a lot better in the after shot.

Chees,Ed

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here