Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Bearing edges?

First time caller here, Hello to all. I have been reading alot on bearing edges, some say 30, 45 or double 45. How about different cuts for rack toms floor toms and bass? Do you want different types on those drums? Do you put the same edge on all? How wide is the apex, inner cut or outter? Profiles? So much info not out there. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mike

Posted on 13 years ago

Mike, I think you might get better and quicker answers at a forum called drumshed. It is dedicated to working on and building drums. Here, people are not too big on cutting edges.

Posted on 13 years ago

Science has proven that if you're building with modern shells the double 45's is the ticket..

Abstract

Drum shell bearing edges dictate the boundary conditions and point of contact betweendrum heads and drum shells. Properties of single 45º, single 45º with slight round-over,and double 45º bearing edges have been studied. It has been found that the double 45ºdrum allows for the best head/shell energy transfer.

http://www.volusiagig.com/music/Eric_Macaulay_Final_Paper.pdf

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]But what does that mean exactly ?

I mean...does it mean it'll achieve the desired sound ? The desired resonance, the desired attack ? What about wood species ? What about interior shell finish ? Shell thickness ? # of plys ???

......Double 45 across the board ???? Mmmmmmmeh.......

....because, interestingly enough, of the drum builders/repairers I know, and of many more online I converse with...most do not go with double 45 on contemporary stock shells....but rather some other profile ....

So I think the statement that double 45 is the 'ticket' or 'best'...is a bit specious....

Atomic has a good suggestion. Drumshed Forum is the place to go....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Argue with science..?? HERESY!! To the Drumshed with ye!!

Pick one and cut'em... as long as you get a good quality, smoothy and even cut.. you'll be gold. Now that's the ticket. :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 13 years ago

The study Jim linked above was in regard to how much energy is transferred from head to shell, but higher energy transfer doesn't necessarily mean better sound. The author did express a personal preference for the double 45 shell, but was careful to say he wasn't sure if that preference was because of the bearing edge. (Personally, double 45's aren't my usual preference.)

The drumshed recommendation is a good one for a question like this.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello, I have a business in Toronto and I specialize in bearing edge profiles and cutting techniques. I also discovered a process that hardens the wood fibres at the edge. I have my own personal preference for what I consider to be a universal shape that works in most musical situations, but I also know that there are edges that work for unique applications. The starting point is always a true edge that can contact the polyester film [drum head] along its perimeter. I then remove material until ny customer is pleased with the resultant stick attack, fundamental tone and length of tone.

Please contact me @ [email]drumdoctor@rocketmail.com[/email] with your specific needs and questions. I will do what I can to help you.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here