Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Bearing Edges: Rounded or Sharp?

I am curious to find out if anyone knows the evolution of the bearing edge profile. Typically, with vintage drums, the edges are rounded. I presume this came about due to the use of calfskin drumheads -the rounded profile helping to prevent the heads from tearing....but that's just a guess.

Sometime, in the 1950s (I think), the synthetic drumhead was invented and that was a major revolution. But, even after synthetics became common, the edge profiles tended to stay rounded or "bull-nosed".

But then later on....sometime....I don't know when....the edge profile changed. After awhile, the "double 45" -kinda looks like this: ^ became the standard. This "modern" edge created a wider tuning range and more sustain. When it was combined with a longer, thinner, maple shell, this new edge produced the deep "THWOOOOoomm..." sound that seemed so pleasing to people in the 1990's.

But, as we now see....Everything old is new again" is a phrase that couldn't be more accurately applied. The old roundover edges are back! In fact, lots of "old school" ideas have been brought back in recent years -especially in the last decade.

In addition to rounded bearing edges, we also see things like flat-based cymbal stands, single-braced hardware, shell-mounted brackets (instead of RIMS or some other type of isolation mounts), "retro" or "re-issued" wrapped finishes, maple/poplar/maple or mahogany/poplar/mahogany ply shells with reinforcement rings, lots of tube lugs...and probably many other "vintage" aspects, too.

How does something like the bearing edge profile change -almost universally from roundover into the sharper 45's for awhile? Where did that revolution take place? Who is credited with changing the edge profile? Yamaha, perhaps? -I'm guessing.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

I would guess that Marshall amps became the catalyst for a more precise bearing edge.guitar2 I think drum makers tried to make drums louder sounding in the 70's to compete with noise levels. Of course most drummers did everything in thier power to deaden drums! I think that people nowadays look for good sounding drums that have light efficient hardware so that gigging is easier. It is so easy to mic stuff now that the need for a real sharp bearing edge is not all that crucial. Just my 2 cents.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the response.

Hmmmm...Marshall amps may have been the catalyst electricit , but I know that my 1970 Ludwig Classic kit has rounded edges. Also...some of the loudest bands I've ever seen/heard were in the days when most drummers were playing what we now know as "vintage" -examples: Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath..etc. And I also know that all through the 80's, "muffled" heads like Evans Hydrolics were in vogue and they seemed to dull a lot of the volume that the drums would have otherwise produced. So, you could be correct about the volume level thing, but it would seem kind of counter-productive to sharpen the edges while dulling the heads. My Ludwig "expertise" ends at about 1970. Sometime AFTER 1970, there came a point where the edges changed...and I'm not sure when ot where the change came about. Burger Kin

Posted on 17 years ago

I think the big catalyst was the change in what some folks wanted to hear which was a more focused sound. In my mind the double 45 is all about focused attack and not at all about the drum/shell ringing with harmonics. Its about Boom then silence. Almost mimicing the electronic drumsounds being produced by synthesizers. I think that also explains concert toms without bottom heads. You can hear the drum be struck and then it stops resonating very quickly.

Personally I don't like that monochrome sound from my drums. I like them to ring which is why I'm a big vintage or vintage style fan.

Another thing I've never understood is the huge vent holes some companies have been using. Again its great if you want to kill resonance but if your looking for that vintage vibe small or no vent is better.

Just my $0.02 cents.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi,

I think the angle of the bearing edge is a bit of a moot point here, and the question is more about the location of the bearing edge apex, and how rounded that apex is. The apex did seem to wander from cresting on the internal ply, to cresting in the centre and outer plys; while morphing from round to pencil sharp.

I thought some of these transitions kicked in when Rogers went with its all maple shells.

Beyond the apex, where drum and drumhead converge, what sonic difference does it make if the remaining edge is cut at 30 or 60 or 45 degrees, since none of that wood is in contact with the drum head--indeed the wood is sawdust....

It's an interesting question, and I think some of the answers may have more to do with management decisions and equipment availability etc. I tripped across this brief mention over in the dating guide section of the Rogers site: http://www.rogersdrums.com/dating.html

"1961 ? Cleveland, OH

Wood/COB Dynasonic Era (label only); COB 3/x/61 w/badge, ?Clock Face? Throw-Off

?Near Flat? Bearing edge on wood shells changes to rounder counter-cut; 5 ply M-P-M-P-M, Jasper/Slingerland"

This might push back the start date for the start of bearing edge changes.

cheers,

Patrick

Posted on 17 years ago

great stuff! Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here