Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Bearing Edges on 70's Slingerland 3-Ply Artist Snare?

Hey guys! Maybe someone out their can give me some advice on what to do here. I own a mid 1970's 5.5x14 Slingerland 3-Ply Artist Mahogany/Poplar/Maple Shell Snare with Maple Reinforcing Rings that has the hard to find Chrome Metal over Wood Shell finish. The bearing edges top and bottom are a little uneven/off. Everyone suggests to have new edges recut to improve the tuning and sound of a drum. But I am afraid to have this done due to the fact that this drum will not have that muffled tone that it once had. Older-vintage-style rounded over bearing edges produce a more resonant full tone according to drum builder Cherie Willoughby-from a recent article from Not So Modern Drummer Magazine. Also it would take off the depth of the Shell if I had new edges recut. I realize I could have new edges recut in the style of vintage rounded over edges. I am not sure what to do here. Any suggestions or advice would be great. Thanks for your time. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

It depends on a couple of things: First of all, if the current condition makes the drum not worthy of playing, then the value in keeping it would be as a "future" collectible...possibly -something to look at. If you want the drum to sound and play better, then having the bearing edges re-cut could be done by the right person and make the drum much easier to tune and give it a better feel...but then it's an altered drum -which renders its collectibility factor to almost zero. I'm not teh Slingerland expert, here, but I think this general rule would apply in most any case.

I own several older Ludwig drums and their edges are all over the place...and the drums sound GREAT! Go figure that one! heh heh If I were to have the edges re-done, then they might sound even better...or maybe they will only sound a little better...but I prefer the original condition...because that's one of the things about vintage drums -they were not perfect.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here