Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Bearing Edge work

I have a late 60's Ludwig kit that needs some bearing edge work. So far all I cannot find anyone local to do the work. Can anyone suggest someone near Richmond Va. or Washington DC. I am considering shipping them off to Precision Drum or Frondelli. Frondelli seems more dedicated to restoring vintage drums but Precision is cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with getting Precision to re-work vintage Ludwig bearing edges? Thanks!!!

Posted on 14 years ago

What is wrong with the edges that you are thinking about cutting them? Post some pix?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

The first issue is that I think someone re-worked them already. The reason I say that, is they seem way too sharp to be vintage bearing edges. They seem more like a 45 degree with a curves back, as apposed to the rounded bearing edge. On top of that they have a few dents on each drum. One drum also has a slight low spot (1-2 mil.). I will send pics later. The stuff below is pasted from an email I sent to precision. I would love to hear your thoughts on the kit.

The toms are 3 ply maple with re-enforced rims and un-painted interiors. The sizes are 9x13, 13x15, 14x16 and 16x22 (the kick is from a later year with no re-enforced rims). It has been re-wrapped and they did not preserve the badge, so it is impossible to date the drums by the serial #. Per the Ludwig website, 3 ply shells that are un-painted are from 68-70. One of the many unique aspects of this kit is the fact that the 15” and 16” floor toms began life as mounted toms. My theory on the kit is that the toms were part of some custom ordered monster rock kit from the late 60’s, but this is just a theory. Sometime relatively recently someone converted the large toms to floor toms and re-wrapped the shells. I think that at the same time they had the bearing edges re-worked. The reason I say this is because the bearing edges seem way too sharp to be vintage Lugwig (45 degree with a rounded back). Assuming that the bearing edges have been re-worked, will you be able to re-work them back to the vintage bearing edge? I want the Tom-Tom bearing edges to be returned to the vintage Ludwig round over style and the Kick drum cut the whichever angle would produce the most vintage tone without having a re-ring. Can you do this? I can send pictures, if you would like to see them. Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Posted on 14 years ago

First thing I might do is post on your local C/L. Many of us haunt there because we are vultures, so you may find the local guy that has all the toolls and knowledge that will get them right and not rip your head off. Altenatively, a good cabinet shop can do it as they work work with routers all day long and can replicate almost anything you take to them, provided you have a good edge to show them so they know what to do. If you have, or know someone that has a good tom with era correct edges you could borrow, that would be a good bet, and the chances are the cost would a mere fraction of Precision.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Do you know if Ludwig ever made a 3-ply re-ring shell with a 45 degree bearing edge?

Posted on 14 years ago

I just had a 12" late 60s Slingy tom redone at Precision. Plus some ply separation repaired and it was $30. They do nice work. I live nearby them so their was no shipping involved which always jacks up the cost.

But shop around , you never know what you will find out there.

Cheers,Ed

Posted on 14 years ago

From Cablek

Do you know if Ludwig ever made a 3-ply re-ring shell with a 45 degree bearing edge?

No. Not that I'm aware of. I have had Ludwig drums that have had some pretty awful bearing edges, though. It sounds like the drums in question have been reworked already, so I don't see any problem with reworking them a little more.

Keep in mind, depending on how bad the edges are, if you recut them you may lose some of the wood which will decrease the depth of the shell.

You're not hurting the vintage collectible value if you rework reworked drums, though.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

From Cablek

I've got 1970s Ludwigs with 3-ply shells and rings with what appears to be a 45° edge. And I'm absolutely positive these drums have never had their edges reworked.

Posted on 14 years ago

I may know of a couple guys in Baltimore.. Let me see if they are interested.

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

From Cablek

I have a late 60's Ludwig kit that needs some bearing edge work. So far all I cannot find anyone local to do the work. Can anyone suggest someone near Richmond Va. or Washington DC. I am considering shipping them off to Precision Drum or Frondelli. Frondelli seems more dedicated to restoring vintage drums but Precision is cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with getting Precision to re-work vintage Ludwig bearing edges? Thanks!!!

I also had Precision do my 68 Ludwig kit. They did a great job and the drums sounded notibly better.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here