Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Bearing edge recut for Camco?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so not sure if this is the best place to post, if there's a better, please let me know - thanks.

I have an Oaklawn Camco set, and a mix of Oaklawns and LAs for a second set. My 12x8 and 14x14 have real problems getting in tune, and I think the bearing edges are shot.

Also, there is a big lump in one re-ring where the joint of the ring is supposed to meet the shell -- looks like someone may have tried to glue it, not sure.

Anyway, was wondering about how and who to contact for repair:

I'm thinking they need the bearing edges re-cut, and don't know who to trust these drums to for removing the weird lump....What are considerations when choosing which bearing edge to go with? 45, rounded, or other?

Also, might be silly, but will repairs like these trash the "original condition" value? (I love these drums, but I don't want to sit there and look at them - I want to play them).

Last, any recommendations on what to use as polish? Would "Meguiar's Cleaner Wax" be OK, or could the wax mess up the resonance or other factor(s)? There is a nice gloss finish on the maple set, but the walnut (mahogany?) toms don't have any shellac over the wood stain (so would wax soak in?).

thank you very much for any suggestions,

David

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm new also, I am guitar player that somehow ended up with three old kits.

(I Got a brother and two cousins who drum) I needed 70's drum spurrs years ago and a guy turned me on to jp2creations.com check him out his site

states he does it all.

Posted on 14 years ago

Although it might be that someone tried to repair the re-ring, some later Camco drums (pre LA) might have come from the factory with the defect (I've seen it). With some late Oaklawn and Chanute Camco drums, defects were more likely to slip through. It's also possible that time has taken a toll on the wood and glue bond.

I have a late oval badge kit with a couple of minor flubs. The kit sounds great; toured with it for many years and wouldn't part with it. One of the Chanute era kits I've owned had flaws, too. I regard it all as a coin collector would with a double stamp or such. Or, like "last ditch" examples of Japanese or German wartime production of collectible military gear.

For cleaning, a light furniture grade cleaner might be the ticket.

The problem with your bearing edge can be solved professionally without ruining the value. You will be well advised on this site. (But not necessarily by me).

Posted on 14 years ago

Camcos and Rogers very often have a bulge at the reinforcement ring overlap. Not a big deal, I would leave it alone unless it's really out of hand. If the edges are original, having them re-cut will put a major dent in the value of the drums, assuming the set is in otherwise good shape. It has nothing to do with whether or not the sound is improved...collectors want original edges, period. If you're really unhappy with the tone, I would experiment with new heads, and if that doesn't work, consider another kit and moving these on to someone else. Of course they are your drums, and you can do whatever you like with them, but from an investment perspective you will want to leave them alone.

Thanks,

Bill

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From mlvibes

Camcos and Rogers very often have a bulge at the reinforcement ring overlap. Not a big deal, I would leave it alone unless it's really out of hand. If the edges are original, having them re-cut will put a major dent in the value of the drums, assuming the set is in otherwise good shape. It has nothing to do with whether or not the sound is improved...collectors want original edges, period. If you're really unhappy with the tone, I would experiment with new heads, and if that doesn't work, consider another kit and moving these on to someone else. Of course they are your drums, and you can do whatever you like with them, but from an investment perspective you will want to leave them alone.Thanks,Bill

This is an issue that keeps recurring for me. I look at drums as musical instruments first and as investments second. To me, they are tools I use at work, and as such earn a lot more $ being played than they would being traded. Seems like there are those who would put a guilt trip on me for doing something to my drums that would make them play and sound better. I love vintage drums, and I love to play them, and if I need to clean up a bearing edge to make them sound as good as possible, I am going to do it. I owe my band members and the audience the best sounds possible. A drum that spends all it's time on a display shelf is just a knick knack.

Posted on 14 years ago

From atomicmorganic

This is an issue that keeps recurring for me. I look at drums as musical instruments first and as investments second. To me, they are tools I use at work, and as such earn a lot more $ being played than they would being traded. Seems like there are those who would put a guilt trip on me for doing something to my drums that would make them play and sound better. I love vintage drums, and I love to play them, and if I need to clean up a bearing edge to make them sound as good as possible, I am going to do it. I owe my band members and the audience the best sounds possible. A drum that spends all it's time on a display shelf is just a knick knack.

Yeah, it's really just the collector market that has changed things...the same is true of any antique, the more original the better. But it's in terms of investment only. I'm never going to give someone a guilt trip for doing anything to their drums, but if they ask about how it will affect the value, I will always advise to keep everything as original as possible.

When I first got into buying and selling vintage drums, I sold a kit to a guy that said he planned on putting large Pearl spurs on the bass drum to keep it in place on stage. At first, I was kind of upset and wanted to talk him out of it. Then, my wife said, "He owns the drums, he could start them on fire or put them in a wood chipper for all you care, it's not your business any more." She was right! Since then, I don't care what people do to their drums, unless they specifically ask advice about how it will affect value.

-Bill

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I'm not really talking about altering them. Just that if there is a flawed or dinged up bearing edge, I am going to have it cleaned up using the original profile. Not talking about going from a roundover to a straight 45%. Luckily my Camco Oaklawns have good edges and sound great. Even though they are re-wrapped.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

I've gotten a lot of feedback from locals and on another forum; the overwhelming consensus is to keep them as-is. There was one repair guy who suggested the work, but he only saw pictures. All those who saw them said don't mess with them.

I'm playing around with them, trying different heads/tunings. It's not as bad as I first thought. Point taken about knick-knacks; if they don't grow on me over time, then I'll sell 'em.

Thanks again for all your help,

DV

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here