Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Bearing edge newbie...

I recently picked up a red sparkle 12 x 15 tom on ebay that needed some TLC. I'm posting my work on it in order to receive some comments/critiques from some more knowledgeable folks on the forum.

Here are some pics of the start, the reinforcing rings are separating in places and the badge is loose, but I didn't pay much for it.

Posted on 14 years ago

So then I used an old glue I had sitting around to fill the gaps and cracks in the wood, no clamps. This glue dries extremely hard and fills gaps much better than Titebond, Elmers, or any cyanoacrylate glue.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Luckily I have a perfectly flat surface to do my sanding on, a very large, very old tablesaw. Clamped my used 36" sanding belt to it and got a perfectly flat edge on the drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

Off to the router table, this table was almost too small for my 22" kick, but perfect for this 15" shell. I used two different bits with bearings that I happened to have for that "custom" edge.

Can you tell I love old things? Drums, tools, I also ride a vintage peugeot bicycle. Seems like everything was better back in the 60's.

Posted on 14 years ago

Amazing how much better it sounds now. When I first got it and played it, I understood why he got rid of it so cheap. That and a tension rod was broke off inside a lug, I think he got some replacements that were much too long.

Anyways, it goes perfectly with my cheap Slingerland sparkle kit!

Thanks for reading, your replies are greatly appreciated.

-Loran

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey!! Thanks for the progress photos and the narative...good job. I like the sanding belt on the saw table to get a flat edge.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

how much do you estimate that you have lost in depth by cutting the new edges? did you cut them with the wrap on?

Posted on 14 years ago

The depth is very close to the same, I use the glue to build up the low spots so I don't sand a whole lot of wood away. I do cut the edges with the wrap on, that only cause a problem at the seam where I can clean them up by hand.

Posted on 14 years ago

What contour did you put on this one? Is it a double 45?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

if you look at the picture of the router bits in the previous post, you should be able to make out the profiles. For the outside it is a steep (~30 degrees) angle, and the inside is a half-round that closely matched the original curve.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here