Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

BD Beater Bounce

Just finished a 16x22 BD. This time no hole in the reso head.

Just 1 air vent hole in shell.

When playing bury the beater style, I get a vibration/bounce when beater contacts head. Also a higher pitched, choked tone.

I find this only happens on a 2 headed BD with no hole in reso side and not a lot of muffling/No thick cloth pillows inside.

When playing quickly off the head (no burying) with good technique, the drum sounds big, deep, boomy and great.

Heads are Emad bat, EQ1 reso. Emad pillow inside.

I think this means that in order to get that great booming tone, I am going to have to learn to get off that head quickly after the strike.

Something I should have mastered years ago. Ndugu mentioned that in a clinic at UCLA.

Does this happen due to air compression trapped in drum shell? Pushing back?

More air vents?

Thoughts and Info welcomed.

SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 12 years ago

bump

clinic was at USC:D

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 12 years ago

It's called; pedal chatter. All you need to do is vent the reso head. A small 3" hole will do the trick. I had the same problem on a Premier kit a few years ago. Adding the vent hole fixed it. Wait for a few more responses before cutting your drum head though. Somebody might have an alternative fix that doesn't involve venting. I only know that venting the reso worked for me.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

I had a Phonic pedal that did that with the thinest spring attached,..it did not do it with the other two thicker springs attached. The thick springs would pull back even with your foot on the pedal. Try useing the thickest spring !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Your calf muscle wont like the thick spring !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Not preaching, just stating ... if you bury your stick into a drum head and push through the natural bounce, you lose a large piece of drumming technique. The same holds true when you bury the beater into the drum head. No difference here. You simply consciously choose technique paths. Nothing more.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here