Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Bass hoops for MIT Apollos

Hey Folks,

My MIT red sparkle Apollos need new bass hoops. I've had this kit since about 1979 and somewhere someone (while it was out of my hands) replaced the hoops with bad looking premier wood hoops. The original hoops were chrome with an inlay.

I found these and they seem to look a lot like the originals. Do you think they would work? I would probably get a red sparkle inlay.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cannon+bass+drum+hoop&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16152131662526908538&sa=X&ei=QvlPT5juFMqwsAKQmN2kDg&ved=0CFwQ8wIwAw

Keep in mind that I'm more interested in having a kit that's a "daily driver" not a show car.

Thanks

Natural maple LA Camco five piece
White 70's Slingerland five piece
60's Ludwig WMP four piece
60's white satin flame MIJ Apollo five piece
70's red sparkle MIT Apollos five piece
Posted on 12 years ago

Based on my experience, if I were you, I would wait around until you find a couple show up on Ebay. Reason being that you can get them alot cheaper than 22 used on Ebay simply because they just don't move much there because there is not a big demand for them like the wood hoops. Many drummers buy wood hoops for their kits, and then are left with these chrome ones that are of no use to them, so they then just try to unload them on Ebay.

Perhaps you can find someone doing that here on the forum that will hook you up for cheaper than new Cannons. In addition, usually 22 inchers are more affordable than the 20 inchers in general.

Try the wanted section on here or get a hold of Mikey777. I'd bet $ he will have some. Unfortunately, I have already sold all of mine (sold 2 pairs of these in the last year). If Mikey doesn't have them, try jonnistix.

BTW, if those Premiers that someone slapped on there are wood, it makes all the sense in the world, as wood hoops make a significant difference in how good your BD sounds, especially on the more affordable woods (which is what your MIT is surely). If you are aiming to make it a player's ("daily driver") drum, then I would surely go with wood hoops.

Then, if you want to go wood, I would just pick up a pair of birch hoops from HB Drums for $18 each. They come looking really nice, stained and lacquered. OR, perhaps if inlays are desired, maybe you can talk them into cutting inlays into them instead of the stain job - then you can wrap it yourself.

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks John. I hadn't thought about getting more wood hoops. I just figured I would get it back to a more original state. But these aren't museum pieces and I probably should go for better sound.

The black premier wood hoops are just too thick. Not wide, but thick to the point that the hooks on the claws have to be bent out a little bit to go over them. I suppose I could float something on the wanted forum seeing if anyone needs premier hoops in trade for something they have laying around.

merc

Posted on 12 years ago

Why put any time & money into what you have ?? Keep the hoops that came w/ the set & adapt them to make them work. Buying different hoops adds no value in $$ or sound. Stay simple, use what you have.

Posted on 12 years ago

True that, Tdennis. But if I followed that philosophy, I wouldn't be surrounded by multiple drum sets, snares, countless guitars and vintage amps.:o But seriously, the premier hoops just are too massive for this kit. Every time I change the heads or work on the drum I have to force the claws over the hoop to the point that it bends the hooks on the claws and gouges the hoops. I like the idea of getting the premier hoops to a premier guy who can use them and getting something that fits this drum. But....no hurry.

Thanks

66merc

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here