Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Bass drum troubles

I?ve just finished restoring my 60?s Ludwig kit and am putting the bass drum back together and tuning it. I?m having trouble getting a good bass sound out of my 22inch. To describe the sound I?m after without using crazy made up words, would be that typical 60?s Ludwig deep thump, with just a slight bit of sustain but not too much. I don?t want a bass drum full of blankets, pillows etc that just kills the sound. Can anybody recommend a batter side bass head? I think I?ll get rid of the old Remo pinstripe on it. Can someone tell me anything about those felt strips they used back in the day? Can you make your own? Also any tips on tunning a bass drum would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Posted on 17 years ago

I have a '62 Ludwig kick and I like an Aquarian Superkick II on it.

They (Aquarian) make a few kinds of heads like that with built-in muffling.

I went from using a big towel touching both heads (along with some foam) to just a tiny towel touching the resonant head only.

Posted on 17 years ago

The felt strips - I've gone back to using them. My local drum guy had a longish roll of felt which he sold me reasonably but I would have thought a haberdasher or similar could supply something of similar quality. I use two back and one front on my 22" with nothing inside and it sounds mighty (mind you, haven't had to close mike it recently so I'm a sure a sound engineer would have another take on it).

D

Posted on 17 years ago

Remo's front and back with a felt stripe front and back will give you what you are wanting it is a classic sound and one i too love..

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here