Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Bass Drum Spurs?

Just picked up a '60's Slingerland bass drum and it's missing the spurs.

Not sure if I should get original Slingerland spurs and brackets or go with something more modern that will hold the BD in place better.

This is going to be a players kit, not a museum piece. I'm using a modern rail system for the tom but it's using the same rail holes that were there.

Either way, I will need to drill holes in the drum. The holes that are there are very low to the bottom of the shell. Not sure what was there originally?

I don't want to lessen the value of this great drum, but if I need to cut a hole, should it be for better performance or do the right thing and keep it as original as possible?

Any thoughts?

Posted on 10 years ago

I would try to get it back to original the best I could. I have a couple of Slingerland bass drums with the original spurs and I don't have a problem with the drums moving around because of how I set things up.

Posted on 10 years ago

For what it's worth the 60's/70's Telescopic spurs do hold very well... However holes for those are not "close to the floor" as you describe.. Maybe that your BD originally had the clip on hoop spurs and someone has done a "job" on it?..

(note the Telescopic Spur set does not usually come cheap).

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 10 years ago

I've been going back and forth and I think I'm going to go with an original set.

And John you're right, what I've found so far aren't cheap!

I'm looking for a set so if anyone knows anyone who has an extra pair, please let me know. I placed a post in the "wanted" section as well.

Thanks Fellas!

Posted on 10 years ago

You can always go with a older style "clip on" spurs that go on the front hoop. I have a pair and they hold fine. If you still want the originals those are fine too. I have them on another kit. Just double check for placement on your bass if it's a 20-22-24 etc.... it might vary?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Thats a very good point that I hadn't considered.

I have a 20" BD; I need to look at other 20's to get the right placement.

Thanks Glenn!

Posted on 10 years ago

Just keep watching Fee Bay, there on there all the time, You might just luck out and catch an early listing (Buy it now) for a reasonable price.

Joe

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks, I've been looking. $75 seems about the going price.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here