Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

bass drum sliding

I've always had problems with the bass drum sliding away from me....the bass drum has the old spurs and I recently bought a b/drum anchor...played a gig last week and the b/drum was a nightmare....Anyone have a foolproof way of making the drum stay put?????

Posted on 18 years ago

I don't know if they are still sold but I use "drum brakes." They are a pair of telescoping rods with the ends shaped like the letter "j." On the opposite end of the J is a plastic coated cable loop. Each j hooks onto the center post of your throne and the loops go over two t pods on each sode of your bass drum. If you don't use Ts, you can replace two of the standard tension rods on the batter side of your base drum to t rods. I have also seen people use a chain going from one t rod around the post on the thone and through to the next t rod. You can probably use a carabeener on each end to hook onto the base drum.

In a pinch I've gotten medieval and busted up a couple of coat hangers and ran each from the bass drum to the throne. It works fine, its just a pain to do it that way. So Drum Beaks first choice, chain second choice and coat hangers in an emergency.

Regards,

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

Keep on Pl

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks Gary....I shall look into these possibilities.

mick

Posted on 18 years ago

They also sell some nice gig rugs with a built in stopper directly on the rug that the bass drum sits up against. I personally never tried it, but

it looked like a good idea.

David

1 attachments
12.5 kB
Posted on 18 years ago

yeah...the rug looks like a good idea...thanks!!

mick

Posted on 18 years ago

I have used a large bungee cord around the bass lugs and the throne it works.

: Mike Gallichio
MGallichio@sbcglobal.net
Posted on 18 years ago

I used to have the same problem, until I started always bringing a rug with me. Now I NEVER have any problems.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 18 years ago

I own a Crash Pad just like David had posted, and that is the solution!!!!!! For $20 it can't be beat!!! :)

Posted on 18 years ago

I too use a rug/carpet piece, with markings on it as to where the hardware sits on it. It gives you a consistent set-up each time and does stop creep. Putting a kit on a shiny hardwood floor is just trouble. Try sand bags or make your own sand bags, and put it in front of the front bass drum head. Dont worry how it looks, i have seen lots of drummers do it, and really, most people dont even notice them to look at.

Posted on 17 years ago

You can also buy a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting at Lowe's or Home Depot. You can have it cut to the size you want and pick a color you like. It doesn't have the bass drum stop in front, but if you play gigs at smaller places where space is at a premium, you often don't get to set up centered on the carpet anyway.

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here