Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Bass Drum Sizes?

Hey everyone, first post. I had some questions about traditional bass drum sizes in relation to tom sizes.

Why is it I NEVER see configurations where its something like 14x14 8x12 and 16x20 or 16x22?

I'm asking because last week I ordered a Ludwig Classic Maple with the sizes 8x12 16x16 and 16x22. This seemed to me a somewhat unconventional size match up since I usually see this tom config with atleast an 18x22 kick. I've been scouring the internet and I think I've seen one drumset in these sizes. Do you think the smaller bass drum is going to under power everything else? Will these sizes work well with each other?

This really interests me because I'm looking at getting a smaller rock/jazz set up if I like the quality/sound of the Classic Maple. It would probably be a 16x20, 14x14, and 12x8 or 10x8. But again, the traditional size for the 12 and 14 tom set up is a 20x14 bass drum. I think its called a downbeat configuration. I'm just kinda worried that going against tradition might work against me because of the fundamental notes of the drums or something like that. Help?

Posted on 14 years ago

I think what you ordered will be just fine.

Posted on 14 years ago

Sure, you'll be fine with those sizes. Keep in mind, the feet and the hands do not make contact with the drums in the same way, so there is no way to have the sizes of the drums "compensate" for that difference. That difference is adjusted by the player by him applying more or less force to the drums in question to balance the sound.

"Tradition" is always changing, too. The bass drums of olde were large diameter, yet very shallow. Nowadays, we see very small diameter bass drums with a relatively deep shell. You really can't build your sound based upon geometry and mathematics, anyway. Let your ears be your guide.

"Tradition" in terms of drum collecting, is whatever applied to the style of a specific era. No vintage era drum set bass drums had a 16" depth. That would have been considered extremely deep back in the vintage days. It didn't have anything to do with which size would be scientifically compatible or anything like that. It probably had more to do with how they looked, proportionally.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Sweet, then 16x20 with the jazz toms it is!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here