Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Bass drum hoop restoration

I'm interested on techniques for gluing a separated bass drum hoop and straightening it. It's warped.

1 attachments
101.4 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

I don't think I would spend time on that, I would find a new one. It looks too far gone, not saying it couldn't be fixed. I'm not even sure how to fix it, build a form, build a steam box, ya its just too much work for a hoop. If someone else has some different ideas it sure would be fun to hear them.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Buy a new one....for all the reason Jeff mentioned.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure Kent hoops came from the factory warped... The issue here I suppose is the original hoop is single-ply and replacements will not be. Maybe that is why they warp. They are also narrow compared to modern hoops. I'd replace it with a Slingerland hoop-they are quite similar to Kent.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas guys.

JB.

Posted on 9 years ago

I know I'm being a really cheap b*st*rd here but there is a a charm in these original hoops I may want to preserve and still play. In other words until I decide to spend 80-100 more dollars on this drumset what can I do to make this work. I do have some chrome hoops I could use also.

Posted on 9 years ago

Post a better pic... hard to tell... Does it lay Flat?

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

I had the same problem with some hoops on 1966 Ludwig bass drum hoops. They were both completely separated from the original join. I used Elmer's pro yellow wood glue and clamped them using some Plastc wrap so the glue would not stick to the clamps. 3 days later unclamped them and they were bound better than new. They were a little warped and one was even twisted a little. I put them back on the drum and tensioned them until they evened out, been playing that drum for over two years and it sounds great. I have yet to untension the heads and take the hoops off to see if they are back in form. Might work for you.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here