Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Bass drum hoop not seatingto skin rim. please Help

Hi

First off let me state that I'm I guitar/electronics guy who's new into collecting and restoring old drum kiits. 3 kits with the first restoration

in progress now. I'm good at resolving problems that come up, but I

figured its time to ask the guys that been there done that.

Bass drum is 24 inch late 70's slingerland-skin is a remo powerstroke 3

My problem is the bass drum hoop was not mating to the skin rim. I could tell the hoop had been painted in the past, and during restoration I sanded and painted 2 coats myself.

I have sanded the inside part of the hoop(the area that would seem to be the problem) down to bare wood and actually beveled it a little, and still have the problem. It looks to me like the inside of the hoop is just a tad to small for the skin....... Please help this fustrated old guitar player out... Thanks

Posted on 14 years ago

Well Eddie, first of all, kudos to you for your interest in keeping these old cans alive. In order to get a better picture, we'll need to see some...pictures of the problem area. My first reaction is that you may tochange to a different type or brand of head. Some heads have smaller, thinner rims than others, so you may need to take to a drum shop and test fit them, that way you can look at several and also ask the drum tech some questions about seating and tuning drums. However, when it comes to tuning, one of the best resources is fright on youtube. Go there and type in the search "tuning drums-bob gatzen". Or you can go to Evansdrumheads.com and he is available from there as well, but it is much more difficukt to get to the tuning videos from there. I don't know why they made it so tough, but youtube is much easier to get to him.

From steadyeddie

Hi First off let me state that I'm I guitar/electronics guy who's new into collecting and restoring old drum kiits. 3 kits with the first restorationin progress now. I'm good at resolving problems that come up, but Ifigured its time to ask the guys that been there done that. Bass drum is 24 inch late 70's slingerland-skin is a remo powerstroke 3 My problem is the bass drum hoop was not mating to the skin rim. I could tell the hoop had been painted in the past, and during restoration I sanded and painted 2 coats myself. I have sanded the inside part of the hoop(the area that would seem to be the problem) down to bare wood and actually beveled it a little, and still have the problem. It looks to me like the inside of the hoop is just a tad to small for the skin....... Please help this fustrated old guitar player out... Thanks

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Odd problem...can you go try another kind of head and see if it happens with that head, too...maybe an Evans for example ? Although honestly...i don't have much faith that this will be the solution because it's not like a Remo is an obscure head or anything. But it could be a factory freak.....

If so, then (seems weird but) you may have to get some new hoops. aitwood.com sells maple hoops uber-cheap...with or without rabbeted inlay strips.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I had a problem like that years ago-the hoop was warped to the inside.When I tensioned it up,it'd pop in,BUT this meant I had to have a certain amount of tension on the rim or it wouldn't go on.Very hard to tune.If you turn it around will it go on?

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the reply guys. I found the original front slingerland skin that came with the drums (thought I tossed it out to the trash) and compared the two.

The powerstroke 3 definitely had more meat where the skin attached

to the rim. I guess the two plys and maybe the fact that they are probably

also thicker was the culprit... Off to the music store...

I will get on the ball and get my picture posting problem resolved....

To many projects..... Life is good.

I know this is not the forum for this but I can't help to shout it out to anyone

interested in cool vintage music gear...

I was Blessed to be able to snag a neve 12 channel mixer from the early 80's

from a c/list add about a half hour after it was posted. Are you ready for this,

got it for $180. It needs some minor restoration. I'm also into home recording.

Talk about being able to get the analog wamth :o)

Posted on 14 years ago

hey eddie! this might sound nice in ur analog home studio huh? akai quarter inch 4 track machine.

1 attachments
"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey John

Funny thing is, I own a Akai GX 646 4 trac R2R now. The one with the glass

ferrite heads. Another early 80's cool piece of vintage gear.

I have a Yamaha AW 1600 DAW as my digital toy.

Eddie

Posted on 14 years ago

nice! i have the 630 d-ss. mine has the glass ferrite heads,quadrasync,direct drive. nice machine. what i really like to do is dump my favorite cd,s to the tape nice and hot. just a little oversaturated and playback thru the deck. with a nice reciever and some good speakers it is a real trip. cant beat the sound.

"Time fly's like an arrow. fruit fly's like a banana"
Posted on 14 years ago

Yea nothing will take you back in time, like watching a reel to reel spinning around spitting out warm and sweet colored music as only tape can do.

(as you're restoring vintage drums)LOL Some how my R2R has gotten bump out

of my music room due to space limitations. I'm gonna somehow get that baby back in there.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here