Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Bass drum hoop inlay strips without a groove in the hoop

Anyone ever try this? I'm considering just affixing the inlay strip to the hoop without a groove cut. The difference in thickness would be minimal I would think, and certainly not enough for the claw hook to sit unevenly on the hoop. Is there anything I'm missing on this or might not be considering all the way through?

The reason is because I have the wood hoops, but have no means of cutting the inlay grooves. I would normally send them to Precision, but the shipping expense of having to send them somewhere and to pay for the labor cost to actually cut the groove (although not expensive) just doesn't seem worth it in the long run. I'd be looking at about $50, most of it being shipping charges. I know that doesn't seem like much, but when the whole kit only cost me $150, it seems silly to put 33% of my initial cost in the kit (25% total) just to have inlay grooves cut when I could most likely attach them without going through the trouble or expense.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

V

Posted on 7 years ago

V

While the inlay is minimal in height, when you put the claws over them it will deform them and cause them to ripple, I believe it would be really tough to glue them down without making a mess. I would recommend looking for a local cabinet maker or a local wood/carpentry shop and pay them to use their router table to cut the grooves into the rims. A very simple process that any good carpenter or wood worker can do for very low cost.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Buy a second hand router table and start learning!

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I guess as thin as it is, there is a reason even cheap beginner kits have inlays cut in the wood (or metal) hoops.

I do have a friend with a router table. How deep should the groove be?

As an aside, I always use regular, run of the mill Scotch double sided tape for inlays, the kind you can buy at CVS. Much less mess and effort than glue. So making a mess without a groove wouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't use the Scotch tape for wrapping a shell, but it's narrow width makes it perfect for inlays, and has more than enough holding power just for a thin inlay strip, especially when there are 6-8 claws evenly spaced around it helping to keep "the pressure on".

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here