Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Bass Drum Elevation

I use both my Supremes and Stars to play gigs. I like both. I prefer to keep the front of my bass elevated about half an inch. Accounting for the foot pedal thickness, I suppose that very little of my bass drum actually touches the hardwood or carpet. Last night, while playing a concert, another drummer told me that he prefers his bass to touch the stage. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

I have always used bass drum anchors so mine is always off the floor short of nailing it down it is the only way I can really get it to stay put when i play I hit very hard.. so mine is and always has been elevated..

Posted on 13 years ago

I heard that it could go both ways...depending on what type of sound youre looking for.

An elevated bass usually has more resonance, and a clearer, not as choked sound as the shell is able to vibrate and resonate freely on every hit.

A non elevated bass would be a little dampened, due to the shell making contact with the floor or rug, or whatever you put underneath your bass.

Of course, Im going from something I was told about 10 years ago by my then music/drum teacher. I always keep my bass elevated to get more resonance, just due to the fact its not a "virgin" drum, and I like the big boomy sound of a 24" bass....and I love how well the Sonor combo rubber feet/floor spikes dig into the carpet....hehehehe

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks very much guys! My Stars also have those combo rubber tips and spikes. Nothing's gonna move them! I've been playing with my bass elevated for thirty years. I like the sound but can see the other side too. Thanks again.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

yes your bass should be off the ground a few inches, it helps the bass resonate better

check this: drum lessons

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here