Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Bass Drum Cover Plate

Looking for some help, suggestions and "creativity" on this one. I've got no doubt that you guys will come through, as always!

I recently picked up a vintage Ludwig bass drum (early 60s) that was factory-drilled for a rail consolette. In addition to the rail consolette, the prior owner installed a Ludwig center-mount so that he could have the option of a five-piece kit, when desired.

When I purchased the drum, although the holes for the rail consolette remained on the shell, the rail consolette itself wasn't included. The center mount, however, was on the shell (without the post). I intend to use the drum with a rail consolette, not center mount. Since I had an extra consolette, I've installed it on the shell. The remaining issue is what to do with the hole and hole pattern drilled for the center mount.

I was fortunate enough to find a metal cover plate drilled to the exact measurements of the hole pattern of the center mount, so I removed the center mount and installed the metal cover plate. The plate itself is gold and shows some scratches and scuffs. However, unless you're actually sitting directly behind the kit you probably wouldn't even notice the plate. I was thinking of having the piece re-plated and having my initials engraved on it (by a "professional" of course!) to personalize it and clean it up some what. Anyone out there know of somebody who might be able to help me out with this little project at a "reasonable" price?

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 15 years ago

Finding a plate with the same hole pattern sounds incredible to me. The drum god must me smiling upon you! Would it be possable to get "LUDWIG" engraved on it like the ludwig logo? or, 1966 Ludwig, The gold sounds a little gawdy though, unless the rest of the hardware is gold. Have fun!

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

Poppy:

Thanks for your input. I was just browsing e-Bay and discovered that JP2 Creations now offers a Diamond Cover Plate at a BIN price of $44.99 exclusive of the mounting hardware. That price seems a bit high IMHO. However, I guess it's the old rule of "supply and demand" kicking in!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="Green"]keep in mind it's JP2 Creations...very good quality stuff, but he ain't into giving any deals...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here