Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Barn Find- Mid 60's Sonor

About 10 years ago, a friend gave me this kit he had found while dumpster diving. I took one look at it, dismissed as an abused starter kit and stored it in my out building. This past weekend, my son was asking about an 18" kick drum and I told him that I thought the kit in the shed was an 18".He went outside and brought it to the garage and it was then that we realized what we had. We believe this to be from 1965(stamped 512 in two of the drums). The sizes are 4x14 snare,8x13 tom,14x16 tom and 14x20 kick. They are in amazing shape for the years of neglect they have endured. I honestly believe the heads were the original heads.We were able to save one of the kick heads, but the others were too far gone. These pics were taken before any cleanup began. If interested, I'll post some after pics when we are done.

There are a few pieces missing, but not many. When I get a complete list I will prolly be asking for help in finding what we need. PLEASE don't beat me up because it took me 10 years to figure out what I had.That's already been going on.

Posted on 15 years ago

Mama mia, where is that barn! Mind Blowi

You can search the forum for other Sonor kits.

Search Sonor Teardrop... Try other combos like Sonor tear-drop or

Sonor Tear Drop

Lot's of info here!

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, those are gorgeous! Can I have them? hehe hhehhehheMister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks David ! I've been searching the site and have found some info already.

O-lugs, I think we'll keep 'em.;)

Posted on 15 years ago

Very sweet teardrops and you are correct on the date. Do they have reinforcing rings? That would be considered a "Chicago" outfit with a wood snare. (If steel snare, it would be a San Francisco outfit) Color code T, wine marble.

Would love to see the cleaned up version! Congrats!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks drum dad, I greatly appreciate the information ! They do not have reinforcing rings and the snare is wood. Here is a pic of the 16. It is the only one my son and I have reassembled at this point.It still has the original feet on the floor tom legs !

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

These were some of the first non re-ring Sonor drums. 6 ply beech. I have a very good friend with a 1964 Blue Satin Flame kit which does have re-rings and is 3 ply beech. Very good sounding drums also. When new, your kit was around $500 which was a lot of coin back in the day especially when you consider that a new 1965 Ford Mustang with the 289 V8 went for around $2400.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Todd H

O-lugs, I think we'll keep 'em.;)

Good decision!;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

that exact same kit (sizes and color) is on ebay in germany at the moment. i'll keep you posted how much it went for once it's over!!

Posted on 15 years ago

From mschrant

that exact same kit (sizes and color) is on ebay in germany at the moment. i'll keep you posted how much it went for once it's over!!

Thanks ! I'd be very interested in knowing. I browsed ebay Germany today looking for parts,but, SURPRISE ! I didn't understand a word that was written !:)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here