Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Banana Drum! MIJ 14" floor tom

The hits just keep coming, and this one is hilarious! Here we have what I have dubbed the 'banana drum.' MIJ 14" floor tom, looks like all original parts are present and accounted for (but then again, you can never be quite sure with these.) Looks like the batter head is original (no markings, thin, well worn) but the reso is obviously not. Slingerland copy lugs. Anyway, of course you're thinking, 'but a vintage 60s MIJ never came in a yellow finish!' Nope, but some forward thinking soul decided the drum would look better if covered in, what looks to be, banana yellow contact wrap!

Now, normally since the color is so obviously not vintage, this wouldn't have even beeped on my radar at the shop, but just because it was a used 14" floor tom I gave it a look, and upon further inspection of where the air vent grommet should be, I said to myself, 'that shape looks mighty familiar...' Hmmmm

So I took this thing home and started peeling around the badge and my suspicion was confirmed; it's a Tempro. Not only that, but the original finish looks to be completely intact under the contact wrap. And the finish is... sandy/gold sparkle! Going to be an awesome addition to my restored 13/16/20 gold sparkle stencil set, except there is one small problem... I'm starting to kinda like the banana yellow wrap!

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Yellow"]Cool...have never seen a round Tempro badge, only the rectangular ones.

use Goo-Gone (yellow) to get the glue residue off of the original wrap. It's oil-based, not alcohol-based like acetone or any of that stuff, so it won't hurt the original wrap.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Quick note, from a restoration standpoint, the contact wrap is very easy to remove from the original wrap, and I actually appreciate that the former owner went for the contact wrap as opposed to painting it. This was such a relief as I really have no desire, at this point, to strip paint off of an original wrap after my experience with the gold sparkle bass drum. That was awful, and time consuming!

But these restorations/rescues are really fun in that these MIJ drums that someone 'modified' in some way (and usually just cosmetically) tells a bit of a story, a small part of an unknown musical history.

Jaye, yes, Goo-Gone is a drum restorationist's best friend! Use it all the time, especially for stickers and duct tape residue!

Here's another pic of a Tempro round badge (on another 14" floor that I have recently got up and running.)

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Also, on the subject of floor toms, I'm getting quite a bit of choking with these FT legs and feet. I've been looking into getting either the Gibraltar Floating Feet or the Pearl Air Tips for the FT legs. I've read a few reviews that say they both work, does anyone here have any experience with these? Tried one or both of these products? One better than the other?

Posted on 14 years ago

I swear by the Pearl leg isolators.They make a huge difference in the resonance.All my floor toms have them now.

Posted on 14 years ago

OK, enough is enough. You gotta get me one of those 14. I need one in any color, as long as it ain't trash. I want to wrap it in WMP to go with mine.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Ok, John, I'm on the hunt for you. And if you want, I can still get you the pleather 12 and 13 toms (w/ Sling copy lugs). They are ridiculous!

I got some of the Gibraltar floating feet for the floor tom, just because they were available at the shop and the Pearl ones were not. Wow! those things really do make a BIG difference! Opened the drum way up, almost like it wasn't on the ground. I'm probably going to order a couple more sets for my other floor toms.

Couldn't find the Pearl isolators... is that a special leg?

Posted on 14 years ago

14x14 is a great size drum- after playing them awhile - a 16x16 tuning seems muddy in comparison. Love the gold sparkle.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

I have the pearl feet on all my ft's,I would go ahead and get them,although from the pics the legs on your tom have a really short curved that does'nt seem to turn straight down,you may have to find some different legs,let us know if the pearl feet work with that style leg though,I am" curious yellow"

Posted on 14 years ago

Eameuser, me too +1 on the Pearl air-floating feet (or whatever they are actually called) I got them with my Pearl Visions kit and I use those legs whenver I play live on any kit- they do make any drum sound better I think.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here