Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Bad seam/binding? Need repair?

Hi,

I'm new to vintage drums and have a 1962-64 16" super classic ludwig. I got the tom on ebay and noticed this strange line running down the inside of the drum when I took the head off. Does anyone know what this is and if I need to repair it? It looks/feels like some sort of plastic lining but havent been able to find anything on the internet about it. I think it's a part of the binding that either wasn't trimmed down when the drum was made or somehow separated. The pictures make it look like theres a lot of separation in the wood itself but there really isnt. Theres no give when I apply pressure around the area, just this wierd looking "extra" material. If this is something I can ignore, great. But please let me if this is a bigger problem or something I can simply trim down myself and forget about. Aside from this, the drum is in great condition.

The first pic shows this material running through the three layers of the shell and the extra on the inside which is shown in detail in the second picture. The third one shows the line running the length of the drum.

Thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

... I did some research and I think this is just extra wrap since ludwig apparently embedded the wrap in the Shell. Can anyone confirm this?

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here