Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

[B]1951 LEEDY & LUDWIG 5 x 14 AUTOGRAPHS OF THE STARS BROADWAY STANDARD [/B]

[COLOR="Red"]For some reason this site is reversing my photos...Mark was very helpful in correcting this so Mark feel free to do this again...sorry for the hassle.[/COLOR]

Hi,

As a lot of you already know, I like the rare, quirky vintage snare drums and this one fits that category. In the late 1990s I would go to the NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA. I would also make three other stops; Disneyland, The Professional Drum Shop and the Hollywood Guitar Center. Hollywood GC had a few cool vintage snare drums that I would always see and this Leedy & Ludwig Autographs Of The Stars snare always caught my eye. On one of my visits to the Hollywood GC I decided to buy this drum. This was early into my vintage snare drum collecting so I had my newly acquired vintage drum friend John Aldridge on the phone (no Face Time yet) as I took the drum apart and described it to him. The obvious questions had to do with the shell and the AOTS wrap. Collectors who know this finish know it as the Leedy Autographs Of The Stars wrap (1940-41). One of the questions was how did this Leedy wrap from 1940-41 end up on a 1951 Leedy & Ludwig snare drum? The possible answers are: 1. A left over shell from the late 1930s-40s. 2. Left over AOTS wrap from 1940-41. The white interior has a 5109 date stamp which is different from the larger Leedy date stamps of the 1930s-40s. So John and I came to the conclusion that this was left over AOTS wrap that made its way to the Leedy & Ludwig factory. The badge is clean and the grommet is tight and untouched so that sealed the deal for me. The nickel plated hardware was all there and correct. I added some Leedy & Ludwig calf heads and a nice set of Leedy & Ludwig snares so there you have it… 1951 LEEDY & LUDWIG 5 x 14 AUTOGRAPHS OF THE STARS BROADWAY STANDARD

I’ve also added a photo of my 1941 Leedy 6.5 x 14 Autographs Of The Stars Broadway Parallel and (as of this writing) the only known Leedy Autographs Of The Stars snare drum in WMP.

Enjoy.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

4 more...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

That's quite a unique snare stand there, Mike! ...or should I say, "Mic"! ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Mike!

I don't know why it's taken me so long to see this drum! Per your request, I've re-posted them to save our necks! And, it's NO hassle! The last picture didn't require anything, but I'm including it so our members don't have to scroll back up!

Just a beautiful drum with a great story. Again, thanks so much for showing all of us some of the drums in your unique collection!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

That's quite a unique snare stand there, Mike! ...or should I say, "Mic"! ;)

You can buy it that way, I got it a while back. There is a snare basket I just closed it up more so the rubber parts wouldn't get in the photo.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

Very cool snare in a rare wrap!! Thanks for posting!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here