Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Att:Tommy P.-What is your method for cleaning/polishing a Chrome over Wood Finish?

Hey Tommy P. I own a 1974-75 Slingerland 5.5x14 3-ply Artist Model in the Chrome plated Steel Wrap over Wood finish-Chrome over Wood. I would like to clean and polish the Chrome Wrap, but I am not sure what metal cleaner or polish to use. If I knew how to post photos of my Snare on this site I would, but I am not sure if my computer has that capability, yet that is. The surface of the Chrome Metal is somewhat pitted here and there and there are surface scratches as well if you look at the surface under a light. What method/metal cleaners have/or do you use? What do you clean and polish with? Is it best to use a soft 100% cotton cloth? Your Buddy Rich Slingerland COW looks Brand New-Amazing! I am not sure if I will be able to get close to that! Any of your advice, info and expertise on Chrome over Wood cleaning/polishing/restoring would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again! Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Phil!...

THANKS! for the kind words regarding my Slingerland COW 4X14 Buddy Rich snare drum! This was probably the HARDEST model for me to find, they just don't seem to show up all that often, and interestingly, Buddy played this model much more than the WMP Slingerland 4X14! Anyway,

I completely understand your plight with regard to the chrome wrap on the shell. My drum, when I FINALLY found it, was trashed... and I mean TRASHED. Luckily it was all there and complete with all the original parts, which save for the wrap itself, were in respectable shape. By the way, this particular drum was built with no tone control, and came with the StickChopper hoops... Buddy! Anyway,

My chrome wrap was also in terrible shape, very much like yours... pits... scrapes... light scratching... but NO RUST. I knew that a hand clean/polish/wax wasn't going to cut it in this case, and, I knew that the Slingerland chrome wrap was in fact, REAL CHROME, not plastic... excellent! Here's what I did to bring this shell back from the dead to just about brand new condition:

I started with "Mothers" Incredible BILLET Metal Polish. This comes in a small plastic jar and is in paste form. The key in this case was that I completely disassembled the drum, except for the badge/grommet, and used an orbital buffer with a foam pad, which used in conjunction with the Mothers BILLET polish, added just enough "heat" to really deep clean and polish out just about all of the imperfections in the chrome wrap. BECAUSE the wrap is real metal, there really aren't any worries about "burning" or "cutting through" the chrome... not to mention the fact that the Mothers BILLET is very low/light as an abrasive... just enough cut/polish to do the job. After the shell was all cleaned and polished with the foam pad/Mothers...

... it was time for the protective finish. In this case I stayed with my personal favorite that I use on my cars: "Mothers Gold" paste wax w/carnauba. I applied this in the normal way, and buffed off by hand with a VERY SOFT lint free cloth. The results are as you see them! Reassemble... tension/tune to taste... play and admire! I must say, honestly, this particular drum plays/sounds GREAT! For whatever reason, it sounds better than my WMP model, almost brighter. The chrome wrap perhaps? Very possibly so! It's an extremely articulate drum, yet has a nasty rim shot that's to die for.

Well Phil, that's it. I hope this was of help for you. By all means get in touch if you have any more questions. Later!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Tommy P! Thanks so much for all the info regarding the polishing for the COW! I have never used an orbital buffer before, so what speed or level should I run it at when polishing? What size and brand Foam Pad did you use with the buffer? And what method did you use for masking the interior/bearing edges/lug holes of your Buddy Rich COW Snare while polishing with the buffer/metal polish and when finally adding the protective Mothers Gold paste wax w/carnauba? I just want to do this the right way the first time around so I do not destroy my Slingerland! Thanks again for all of your help! Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Phil!... and,

Sorry for the delay in my response, but I have been just completely jammed with gigs, not that I'm complaining! I've been working with a Frank Sinatra Show all summer that has just been fabulous and a complete BLAST to play, but already I digress... Okay, regarding your recent query:

I would say that the BEST thing for you to do with regard to your Slingerland COW shell, is to find an Auto Body Shop or even a car detailer, and have them buff it out for you. Otherwise, you are going to lay out a better than fair amount of money on all the equipment needed... plus! ... those guys know exactly how to run/operate a buffer/pad. I would imagine that it would cost you very little as a snare drum shell is so small and the time it takes to do it is about 15 min! You might even have a friend or two that are in either of these business's that can help you with this. The final waxing you can do by hand at your convenience, although I did mine right after the buffing. Otherwise,

I used a variable speed buffer... ( trigger control for instant response and variable rpm change ) ... with a 10" foam pad and the afore mentioned materials. I did not mask off anything nor block the holes for the lugs. Very little to no material gets on the inside of the shell as you are actually "working" the material rather than "spraying" it, as it were. The small amount of residue that might take up residence on the inside of the shell is simply wiped off with a clean rag/cloth. No masking of the bearing edges needed either Phil as the foam pad is quite non abrasive. No problems!

Hope this was of help!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Do you gents know if this method would work for Ludwig chrome wraps? I have a COW Ludwig set that needs a good cleaning and is mildly pitted.

Thanks,

Superclassic

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here