Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Attn: Slingerland Guys

What is the best era of RadioKing snare drums??? Functionality and sound???

I have a late 50's and the darn "clam shell" strainer is kind of fussy. I am mainly a Rogers freak but I love the sound of some Slingerland drums and was wondering what real enthusiast are using. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm a huge fan of early 60's ( black and gold badge )

I have a '63 "Hollywood Ace" that is a beautiful 3-ply

and a '65 COB "Sound-King".

The sound and quality of these 40+ year old drums

is just astonishing.

In the 80's, the solid maple Radio Kings were the bomb with

just about every recording drummer until the Ludwig Black Beauty

craze started.

Paul Jamison in LA was refurbing these with modern strainers

as so many great shells came with the dreaded Clamshell throw.

I retrofit a few myself with a "plate system" that ( I think ) John Aldridge

devised.

Basically, it was 3/16" sheet aluminum cut to mount in the existing

holes, with corresponding holes for the new throw. Mounted with nylon

spacers, you were able to bring the tub up to date with no additional

drilling.

Nothing breaks the heart like a 40's or 50's solid maple Cloud badge

with an off center Ludwig P-85, ya' know?

IMHO.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

The clamshell is not the best design, look for anything with a 3-point strainer and extension bridges.

Once you find that then the only other factor is solid shell or 3-ply, they are both nice drums. the Solid shell usually gets more money over the 3-ply.

Also look for an Artist with a zoomatic, they turn up a lot on Ebay, more so then the Radio King with 3-point.

In regards to era, it really depends on the lugs and hoops you prefer.

Also, look for a complete drum, finding strainers is turning out to be an expensive project!

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you guys! So, the earlier 3-point strainers are more functional??? They seem like it. That clam shell is like a death trap!!!

The solid ply shells are earlier??? What is the window of time for the 1 ply shells?

Isaac

Posted on 17 years ago

The single-ply Radio King was still being offered in the '79 catalog.

( Which is the last year I have...)

They were re-issued in the 90's and are again available from

the "new" Slingerland which is owned by Gibson.

The prize ones are 7 x 14" Cloud badge from the 1940's with

the engraved hoop. Other depths were more common through the

50's and 60's.

If I'm not mistaken, Neil Peart's main axe for years was a 5 1/2 x 14

solid shell ( in many different colors )

FYI

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey guys, Neil Peart used a second hand 5.5x14 Mid 70's Slingerland 3-Ply Artist model snare drum in the Copper over Wood finish-Copper plated Steel Metal Wrap over the 3-ply wood shell. The 3-Ply Shell is Slingerland's standard Mahogany/Poplar/Maple Shell with Maple Reinforcing Rings. The Metal Wrap is covering the African/Honduras Mahogany outer ply-a Dark Reddish wood, a thick Poplar ply is the middle ply and the Maple ply is on the interior of the Shell. The Copper over Wood finish was available from 1972-1976, not just one year. Everyone always states it was only available during one year-1973, not true. Do not trust vintage Slingerland Drum catalogs!!! They are so inaccurate it is not funny! Also during 1972-1976 Slingerland was not using the vintage style half-moon shaped Snare Beds anymore on their Snare Drums-this is a fact! The previous owner of Neil's 3-Ply Artist actually filed homemade vintage style snare beds on the bottom of the resonant side of the snare so it would not choke! And Neil never had the interior of this Slingerland Artist snare Vibrafibed-ever! I think the term Artist model throws everyone off. Slingerland made three different Shell types using the same model name under the same model number-153, with practically the same hardware. The Solid Maple Shell Artist, the 3-ply Artist and then the 5-ply Artist-without Reinforcing Maple Rings. I was so happy when I found out what he had used all those years with Rush. Now we can all go out and find this Darn Snare!!! Phil C. Fitchburg, Mass Cool 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

The late 50,s were for me were very nice snare drums.I used that model as the proto for my own line when i was bending.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Thank you guys! So, the earlier 3-point strainers are more functional??? They seem like it. That clam shell is like a death trap!!! The solid ply shells are earlier??? What is the window of time for the 1 ply shells?Isaac

This will help.

http://www.prestoplate.com/radio_king_info_page.html

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Starting Point.

http://pas.org/Museum/Tour/0612.cfm

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you for the help gentlemen.

Isaac

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here