Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Attic Find / Radio King / PICS!!

Hey everyone - first post..

So a little backstory to this find - a bandmate was cleaning out his attic of his parents belongings - I went up there to track down this 70's Sky Blue Pearl Slingerland set, which was there (but had been painted over flat white). so we got that whole set out of there.. And then he just said - you know, if you want ALL this stuff, just take it!! A lot of Japanese copy stuff, and the like.. and then I noticed one drum he snuck in there - my butt puckered, and I couldnt contain my glee - a Radio King floor tom, just sittin there staring at me!! Heres another kicker - its a 15' !!! We IMMEADIATELY went back up to see if the rest of it was there, but to no avail.. Couldnt find the hoops either. sucks.. I'll keep looking for them as the attic gets cleaned out more (i cant even begin to explain just how much stuff is in this attic, you cant even touch the floor..)

So anyway, Im an avid collector, mostly of Slingerlands and WFL/Ludwig. Anyway, I havent owned too many Radio Kings, and my Slingerland Book isnt accessible right now. So Im turning to ya'll for some help on dating this drum, and knowledge to what exactly it is. Soooo.. start typing fellas!

some of the crap... (eh... a WMP Transition Badge snare, nothing special)

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture021.jpg[/IMG]

The Slingerland Bass Drum, and wait, whats this sitting inside of it??

OH SNAP!!!! I KNOW THOSE LUGS!!!

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture020.jpg[/IMG]

The orig white paint is still there.. The wrap is a very thin material that will tear right off when I get a chance to sit down with it

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture022.jpg[/IMG]

Muffler knobs still attached, drum is good and round, no warping

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture024.jpg[/IMG]

Dual Muffles, top and bottom (both, still in tact) Very slight water damage to the interior, fixable.

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture023.jpg[/IMG]

A signature (hard to photograph) on reinforcement hoop, says "Ray" - dont know if this came from the factory signed, or was added at a later date

[IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/corey_riley/Drums/Picture025.jpg[/IMG]

So guys/gals - have at it.. tell me what you think, and what knowledge you can pass my way. The drum is going to be fully restored. All the lugs are there, but no tension rods.. both muffles there and intact - a great solid drum to bring back from the dead. It has sat in that attic for the past 40 yrs, untouched. Thanks for all the info, and help everyone - glad to be a part of the forum. I'll have to post pics of all my other schtuff!!

Corey

Posted on 15 years ago

It bears noting . . . doesn't it pique your interest to where the REST of the kit is??

Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are always welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperSpace
Posted on 15 years ago

well sure I wonder where the rest of it is - but found out that his dad (now passed away) had bought this drum by itself at a flea market in south missouri (some 35-40 yrs ago)- so... theres no hope in finding the rest of the kit.

No info from ANYBODY?? C'mon, thought ya'll were a bunch of Radio King nuts!?!?

Posted on 15 years ago

There is not much to go on here. The finish looks like some type of contact paper. You can however use the main web site to research the shell and match it up to shells with the same rienforcement rings

Look in the Slingerland Section

The tom without the rest of the set makes the history part hard to narrow down.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Admit it!!..The real fun was in the hunt!!..Am i right???..The thought of that next piece hiding under some old newspapers...Now THATS foreplay.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 15 years ago

well sure theres a lot to go on here - the lugs / washers & hardware used on the inside of the drum /the muffles / reinforcement hoop style, etc... the wrap has nothing to do with the drum. I mean, Im not looking to track down the exact day this thing was built or anything - that wasnt really my point - I was just interested in what other 'drum nuts' around here thought about it, and what info they could provide before I got to my Slignerland book at home. To answer the other question - yes, the big thrill as actually finding it amongst a bunch of other japanese crap - but the rest of the kit is not there.

I've already tracked it down in my Slingerland book - I'll post back when I've locked all the info down, and give you guys the solid info. .

By the way, is there another forum out there with possibly more members and activity on the site?

Posted on 15 years ago

Ok, your original question was trying to find the date of the drum.

"So Im turning to ya'll for some help on dating this drum, and knowledge to what exactly it is. Soooo.. start typing fellas!"

We know it is a Slingerland tom. So, no reason to figure out what it is.

The finish is a big indicator, so that is important. The hardware was used over many years, so it is not a huge help. Now, if the rest of the kist was around it, then we can really fine tune the details based on the snare drum and other hardware.

The section I sent you to was written by the leading expert on Slingerland. He is the expert on fine details and goes into more detail then the book you have.

The book you mention is written by a friend of the forum and a personal friend and should be in everyones collection. It is an excellent resource.

So follow the link and read the shell section. There is a photo of that shell interior and a date range.

Also, read the rest of the section about finishes and hardware, if you are Slingerland person then you should catch up on DrCJW's work. It is well known all over the world and the place for people doing research.

In regards to your last statement.

"By the way, is there another forum out there with possibly more members and activity on the site?"

Yes, I know the perfect forum where people post just to post and if you just want people to repeat the same thing then I can send you the link.

Hang in there and this place will grow on you, we are all here for the same thing and want to help you with your research.

David

I wanted to add that you can visit the main web site http://www.vintagedrumguide.com and click on the Slingerland Image on the home page. There are a bunch of Slingerland Drum Set catalog scans to look through.

Posted on 15 years ago

meant nothing harsh by the last statement - so dont take offense. just looking for more forums out there, thats all. SOme are specific to slingerland, ludwig, etc.. cant seem to find any tailored to Slingerland - so, was just asking.

Posted on 15 years ago

This is THE Slingerland site. There is not a more wise Slingy dude than our esteemed Dr. The guy knows his stuff. Read his articles and study what's there. Check out old posts here. After doing your research, you will learn more about the drums than Bud knew. Good stuff.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here