Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Artstar 2??

Does that mean its a 2.nd line or what??...Maple Birch Maple/Birch???

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Newer series, updated hardware and lugs. Original Artstars came out in the mid-eighties. Artstar 2 came out in 90 or in the 90's I believe. Not sure about the shell construction or wood type.

Gretsch Nitron Glass New Classic 2010 8/10/12/14/16/22
Yamaha Cherry Wood Recording Custom 1987/2005 8/10/12/13/14/16/22
Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 1966 5x14 S.S./13/16/22
Gretsch wood finish 1959 5x14/13/16/22
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5x14 Radio King
Gretsch Silver Sparkle Catalina Club Bop 2008 18/14/12/10/5x14
Gretsch Silver Sparkle/Black Stripe Catalina Club Mod kit 22/10/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

Hello Wayne,

the Artstar II series was, as drummingbulldog stated, an "updated" version of the Artstar series and was released back in ´86, if I recall it right. I remember an ´85 interview with Simon Phillips shortly after Pete Townsend´s "White City" album was recorded, where he still played his Cordia Artstars (you can see that in the same titled film). He talked about the new TAMA top-line drums (Artstar II) and that he´s awaiting them soon...

The shells were made of 9 plies of Canadian "hard rock maple", that´s what they called it. There were laquer covers on the inside (two coats) and the outside (five coats) surfaces.

Since January of ´88, when I purchased them brand new, I´m the proud owner of a set of those beauties.

Attached below is the original ´86 catalogue´s front page and a pic of my Artstars I took at a gig last year. (I do indeed have a second BD and four Octobans with this kit - but, you know, we all don´t become any younger and the back is weak...:))

Cheers, Jurgen

2 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 12 years ago

STILL one of my dream drumsets, Artstar II in bird'seye maple,hi tension lug casings. Titan Stilt stands leverglide hihat and Probeat bassdrum pedal...

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 12 years ago

Im looking at a white kit but the interiors are clear coated??different animal??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Wayne!

Yes, some strange things happened while Tama made the Artstar II series.

A friend of mine sold a white set about a year ago, I took some pics of it. As you can see below, the 8" mounted tom is clear coated on the inside, the tom holder bracket looks different to the other ones - but the badge told "Artstar II". He said, the 8" was added later on and purchased as an Artstar item.

There also was a time period after Tama had finished producing the Artstar II series, and they didn´t have any top-line, if I remember it right. Before the StarClassic series appeared on the market, it seemed as if Tama had upgraded their "Granstar" series (which was below the Artstar II) with hi-tension-lugs and some other gimmicks and called it "Artstar Esprit" or "Artstar ES". The difference between the former top line was, the ES series was wrapped in different colours - no laquer anymore.

So, this is all the information I can give you, maybe someone else on the forum knows more than me. And I hope this could help you with your decision.

Greets Jurgen

1 attachments
155.7 kB
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 12 years ago

Somewhere around 1989-90, Tama stopped finishing the insides of the drums, which is why the 8" white tom is natural. When Starclassics came out in '94 Artstars were still being made, but I'm thinking only the cheaper basswood ES line.

The AS Timeline goes something like this as far as I recall:

Artstar 1983 -> AS II 1986 -> ES 1994 ->AS Custom 1995?

It was about 1989-90 when they discontinued the Granstar Custom (painted interiors) and Granstar (natural interiors) lines, and then came out with Granstar II with long lugs and (mostly) covered finishes. (like the Granstars) I believe the GS II were available in painted finishes (like Granstar Custom)-Piano White and Piano Black).

Posted on 12 years ago

From bluejacketsfan

Somewhere around 1989-90, Tama stopped finishing the insides of the drums, which is why the 8" white tom is natural. When Starclassics came out in '94 Artstars were still being made, but I'm thinking only the cheaper basswood ES line. The AS Timeline goes something like this as far as I recall:Artstar 1983 -> AS II 1986 -> ES 1994 ->AS Custom 1995?It was about 1989-90 when they discontinued the Granstar Custom (painted interiors) and Granstar (natural interiors) lines, and then came out with Granstar II with long lugs and (mostly) covered finishes. (like the Granstars) I believe the GS II were available in painted finishes (like Granstar Custom)-Piano White and Piano Black).

As I recall the granstar II line was given a sendoff like the artstar custom with a faded stain/laquer around 1994 Granstar custom? it was a turquoise-ish color.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 12 years ago

I own a beautiful Tama Artstar ll Limited Edition Birds Eye Maple 4 pc kit. It's only ever been out of my house 1 time. It is PRISTINE and SOUNDS and LOOKS "INCREDIBLE" They only produced these drums from 1988-1989! I'm the original owner. The sizes are as follows 13"x10" mounted tom 16"x16" floor tom a RARE 14"X8" (Gladstone Style) tube lug snare drum and an even RARER 20"X16" bass drum that TAMA never even offered it as and option in the Birds Eye Maple kits. I might be selling it or maybe consider trading for a SONOR GERMAN MADE KIT!!!! It must be a nice kit. So if anyone is interested feel free to PM me or email me at [email]rpujale@yahoo.com[/email] anytime so i can send you some pictures. Thanks

Sonor DeliteSeries 10" 12" 14" 22" 14"
Sonor Hilite Series 10" 12" 16" 22" 14"
Peavey Radial Pro 1000 Series 10" 12" 14" 22" 14"
1965 Slingerland 13" 14" 16" 22" 14"
Brewer Custom 12" 14" 22" 13"
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here