Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Are these authentic Gretsch Round Badge drums?

I have a set of drums, purportedly '60's Gretsch Round Badges. I need some help understanding some peculiarities with these. While some characteristics are unmistakeably Gretsch, others aren't. Specifically:

1) Are the hex-type bolts (vice screw+washer) after-market? Uncommon?

2) Do the bearing edges look correct? Note that the slope of the BD bevel is towards the interior of the shell (not pictured well here), while the toms' bearing edges angle toward shell exteriors.

3) Some obvious modifications were done to these (Rogers mounts on BD and mounted tom; black paint over silver in BD interior; BD internal muffler felt removed; badge missing from BD), but the rest of the peculiarities are of concern.

Bottom line: Are these completely "bastardized", or are they legit Vintage Gretsch? I can easily upload more, specific pics if they would be of help. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to shed some informed light on all this!

Posted on 15 years ago

It appears to be a legit Gretsch Jasper shell with a Rogers Swivomatic style mounting bracket....but, I'm not completely sure if that's a Rogers version or a Japanese version of a Rogers mount -(?) Rogers experts will know better than I.

I have heard that Gretsch's quality control was en par with other companies of that time -which was less than perfect! So, your edges could be original. They don't appear to have been re-cut.

Many people back then converted to Rogers Swivomatic mounts, so the conversion could be as old as the drum, itself.

Stand by for someone who has a better answer!Burger Kin

Oh...and I think those hex screws and lock washers are original. I think they are self-tapping style, so you might want to think twice about removing them, because i have heard they are kind of problematic for stripping if they are messed with.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks O-Lugs. I appreciate the info, and I'll continue to gather opinions. One thing is for sure: The BD is an absolute cannon, and the shells sound pretty darn good to me (I've been gigging with a DW Collector's series for about 5 yrs, and I'm about ready to give these Gretsch's a go).

Best,

vtjerker

Posted on 15 years ago

Looks like real late in the Round Badge era, like late 60's...68-69 maybe. The long serial number on the paper tag would indicate that as well as the hex screws. Looks like a good score!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for posting, Ludwig-dude. The bearing edges are pretty sharp (too sharp?) on the inside edge -- almost un-sanded. The outer edge is 30 deg. +/-, which I know is Gretsch standard, but I expected a smoother finish on the inner edge. Maybe that's the way they did it? I don't have anything for comparison.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here