Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Are Ludwig Standard & Slingerland Hoops Interchangeable?

I've got a Ludwig Standard 13" tom shell (6 lug) and I'm wondering if it will accept a 13" 6 lug Sticksaver hoop. Are the tension rod holes spaced the same? I don't have a 13" Sticksaver to x-check with.

Thanks

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

If they arent spaced the same, then the lugs on at least one of the drums isnt spaced equally.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

Yep. It's an algebra thing -pi and all that! ;) The rims are indeed interchangeable.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

True Thanks Ye Wise Ones -

I suspected as much - Kind of a "D'oh" kind of question. Pi indeed! DOH

I wasn't sure if manufacturers made their bits somewhat unique to keep customers "loyal".

It makes me think of a friend back in the '70s who had an egg-shaped bass drum - Trixon? That'd keep ya buying from them Hurting ~ Still a cool look.

Does anyone find any real advantage of Sticksavers over the Ludwig Standard rims, aside from the Sling's apparent higher quality - It kinda seems like a matter of "Inny vs. Outy". I know they're both an improvement over the old non-flanged hoops in regard to "stick safety". The root of my inquiry is probably more cosmetic, I suppose. I think the Sticksavers look slick.

Or is such a "mating" considered too "un-holy" in vintage circles?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's not really a foolish Q. Some hoops have a lotta lateral play L-R in their holes...others have very little.

It's a bear trying to use old Premier hoops because of this. Their holes are basically dead-on round...no play whatsoever.

Also, consider that...the old-skool single flanged hoops with claws didn't particularly require spot-on placement of the lugs since there are no holes to align to. So...you may find that you need to use hoops with some play in their holes (i.e. rectangular or oval shaped holes in the hoops).

But, yes, unless someone did a bad job of drilling for the lugs, you should be fine.

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]I can tell you a most horrible story how...on a deadline, I had to drill holes in n 8" Keller shell which was already wrapped...and I gabbed an old janky Japanese hoop to use as a stencil for the holes. I drilled 'em, mounted the lugs, then grabbed the 2.3 MM new hoop I was actually gonna use on the finished drum...

I need not say more...

...the crappy ol' asian hoop was not built with holes equidistant...and I ruined the entire shell.

That was the fastest shell I ever made. I cut it to proper height, edged it, sanded it, wrapped it, drilled it, assembled it, headed and tuned it in about 1-1/2 hours one afternoon...a good 20 mins before the buyer came for the kit.....[/COLOR][/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

:eek:WOW! That IS a horror story. A good object lesson to underscore your point. Your do-over must be some kind of record in the custom drum building world. Kudos Cool1

That extra play in the holes is a very good point ~ both my Slingers & Ludwigs give that 'little extra room' - makes a lot of sense. That's, no doubt, why they seem almost 'self aligning' when re-heading.

Thanks Jaye! I don't feel so DOH after all.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here