Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Are all old Slingerland kits good?!

Sorry, I missed this topic earlier.

Ive been looking to purchase my neighbors 1965 White Pearl Slingerland kit, but I cant tell if its a good kit or not. It looks to be in great condition, but upon looking up the serial #, and seeing that the tag says "made in Nile, IL", I cant find any information about it.

So it leads me to wonder, are all Slingy kits from the early to mid 60's good? From the entry level kit, up to the Radio King?

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/NorthernIndianaStuds/Slingerland1.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

This is a mixed set and the floor tom more then likely did not come with the other drums.

In regards to all Slingerland kits all being good, I would say yes. All sounding exactly the same? no. Flaws in production? yes.

If it sounds and feels right to you, then you can't go wrong!

You need to look at the Slingerland sections if you are doing research..

It would take days to read it all and research. But focus on the DrCJW and the Slingerland Drum Set Catalog Pages sections..

Slingerland Drums

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you David, and Merry Christmas!

So you think it's a mix set? As a result then, you dont think all the drums/toms are from 1965? Not sure what drum this is a picture of, but its what he sent me. What are your thoughts?

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/NorthernIndianaStuds/Slingerland2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/NorthernIndianaStuds/Slingerland3.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

The Jam Session came with 3 drums, snare, bass and tom...

You see the single lugs on those drums?

The floor tom in the picture is double lugged top and bottom.

So he probably added it later.

The Stage Band came with the single lugs on all of the drums.

Look at the catalog pages for clarification. The years could be the same.

The drums never came in a set like that, unless it was a mistake from Slingerland

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, amazing insight. Cant thank you enough...

Does the single lugs mean the snare, bass, and tom are older? And possibly the floor tom is newer?

Also, do you think the kit is worth $500?

Thanks again for all your help David. I wish you and your family a happy holidays.

Posted on 15 years ago

You can date everything in the Dr's section with badges, serial numbers etc...

No, they made the combination for years.. You can list each drum badge and serial number.. Hard to know what is what in the photos..

Ok, I missed that you do not have the drum set or better photos, so there is not much you can do.

He could have ordered the set and months later order the floor tom and did not mention the single lug or double lug. Or, he went to a music store and the floor tom was for sale... Lot's of reasons..

I would get all of the badge photos, drum sizes and if there are interior date stamps..

$500 is high if you ask me..

6 lug student snare drum with that set...

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Dang, ok thanks David.

When I asked him for some additional info he sent me his ebay listing. Looks like people are bidding $600 for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Slingerland-Drum-Set-Vintage-1965_W0QQitemZ230315689254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintgae_Drums_Percussion?hash=item230315689254&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Just trying to track down an old kit like my dad had before he left. Been saving up Christmas money, so I guess Ill have to keep searching...

Posted on 15 years ago

Be careful, Zero feedback and bids that high..

I don't trust the auction..

I also don't see anything with that set to bring that much money with limited photos and no detailed information.. There is nothing about condition or extra holes.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks again David for your expertise.

If you happen to see any vintage 60's Slingerland kits for sale, let me know. Ive scanned the net now for 3 days and that kit is the only one Ive found for under $500.

Thanks again for all your help.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here