Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Aquarian Vintage Heads Question....

Ok, so I've picked up this mid 60's Gretsch RB Dixieland 6-lugger snare and am thinking of trying out Aquarian's Vintage series heads on it. Question is should I use the Modern series or the American series? The drum currently has Remo Ambassadors on it (which fit fine on the shell, a little tight on the hoops though), but I want a warmer sound out of it. I've heard that Gretsch can be a pain with head fit. Was this on the older 3-ply 50's drums only or did it apply to the 6-ply 60's drums too?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]For head fit...how do the current heads fit ? Do they have "play" along the edge (can you rotate the head when it's on the shell, no hoop)?

Then the Moderns will work.

The only real diff between the two Aq's is that the Moderns have contemporary diameters, while the Americans have a (very slightly) wider diameter. So if here is some tightness with your current Ambs, I would go for the Americans.

Also, I believe these both come in 2 weights (?) Go for the thinner of the 2 weights. The thicker ones get awfully heavy.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

The ambs don't seem tight on the shells, just on the inside of the hoops.....so I guess I should be able to use the Modern Vintage heads then....

Posted on 15 years ago

I would just bring the snare with me to buy the heads, unless you are shopping online. I have an old slingerland steam bent shell that heads fit tight on. When I am looking for something specific I just take it with me.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Probably either will work, although if a local sale, Lucky's advice is always good.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Problem is, there is only one place around here tht carries a decent amount of Aquarian heads and they don't stock the vintage series. I'd have to order them and don't want to be stuck with them if they don't fit.

Posted on 15 years ago

The safe bet would be to order the American Vintages, then. They would most definitely fit.

I know...nobody local, wherever you happen to be, usually stocks those Vintage series heads...and if they happen to have a few, it's usually the Moderns.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here