Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Appraisals

Hi...

Do you folks offer this service here,if not,who could you recommend?..thx

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Post pictures and specs in the "what is it worth" section, I'm sure there are people here who can help you out.

Posted on 14 years ago

It depends on the type of appraisal. If it needs to be done by a certified appraiser for insurance reasons, then you need to contact one of the larger companies. There are appraisers that need to handle and see the items.

Online there are appraisers in the business that give you an appraisal, but if that holds up with an insurance company is another story.

I have heard stories that even with the appraisal it did not matter.

Even better then an appraisal is photos of similar drums and what they have sold for, or documentation of the same. A letter from people in the business stating the value and their credentials is also a bonus.

Video tape and photograph your items and store it all in a safe place.

So is this for insurance, private sale or just to have on file?

David

Posted on 14 years ago

Well,since you asked,Im working on my will and plan on leaving most of my vintage gear to by sons,but since they dont play they would have no idea what to do with the gear.Help2

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Ahhh I have a few thing in place as well and the family knows who to call about my collection if something happens. That should be in the will. Someone you can trust "after" you are gone to facilitate the selling of your gear for the family.

I would follow through and price these drums with some industry people. get a letter and print any similar drums for sale on web sites and eBay.

David

Posted on 14 years ago

hi, wayne!

In MY opinion, I think you have as much power to assess the value as anyone. You've been around these forums a long time. You know what people have to say about most of the common and collectible drums. I would make an educated guess. That's all anyone can really do. The value of these things fluctuates greatly. You might get an assessment, now and then live to be 100 years old and realize that whatever you figured the value to be has either gone through the roof or gone through the floor.

I, personally, am not in favor of paying for an assessment on a drum just to get a piece of paper. That whole thing seems like a sham to me.

That's my 2 cents.

That'll be $100.00 please.

:)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

I think you,re right about that O lugs,and thankfully Mike Curoto has offered his sevice to me via telephoneExcited...remember those things??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

EXCELLENT TOPIC and long overdue, IMHO!

I believe that the distinction that David has pointed out regarding the actual purpose of the appraisal (insurance / private sale / filing) is critical. However, I also tend to concur with the position expressed by O-Lugs that the current owner more than likely has as much, if not more, power to assess the value of his respective vintage pieces than any third party.

I've always been of the opinion that the value of ANY piece is only worth the highest amount that one individual is willing to pay at the specific time the item is offered for sale -- no more, no less. We've all seen and, more than likely experienced, the fluctuation in prices through the years, based on the economy and other factors.

In regard to appraisers, it's been my experience that a significant amount of them (not all, of course!) tend to under-estimate the value of vintage drums when conducting their appraisals. Perhaps they're hoping to have an opportunity to purchase the items themselves and then re-sell at a significantly higher asking price. I have no idea. I simply don't feel comfortable dealing with them. This speaks to the reference of "sham" as used in O-Lugs post.

What I'd like to know is whether any fellow forum members have actually gone through the process of having their drums and/or accessories appraised and insured and then had to file a claim or claims due to the items being damaged, destroyed or stolen? I'd love to hear the results.

Were you adequately compensated for the loss or damage? Was the coverage worth getting? Any "unique" circumstances you'd like to share? Also, getting back to the original issue -- how was the "value" of the items actually determined and by whom?

As usual, any and all "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated! Please enlighten me on this one.

THANKS!

Posted on 14 years ago

I have not.

I tried to figure out how to do that. All my younger relatives would be uninterested in maintaining my vintage drums. So, I guess we'll see what happens. Maybe some of you will luck out! ya never know!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

I had a set of Ruby Strata Standards "appraised" at the Chicago drum show a couple of years ago by their "expert". I sold the drums on ebay for twice what he said they were worth 'at the max'. Go figure..... :rolleyes:

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here