Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Probably not a name that inspires much from anybody. I bought a 14 3/4"x 16" floor tom today as a floor tom whilst waiting for a Premier APK (or nicer) floor tom. This will NOT be a permanent addition to my Premier kit. It will go away as soon as a suitable replacement is found.

My observation thus far: bad tooling for drilling the lugs, non-standard tension rod size (threads), weird, round bearing edges, lugs can easily fall off of the drum (lug lies flat against drum with no positive insertion into the drum), a bit of wood punched out when drilled for the lugs, not every lug is square, poor chrome and hardware. In all, I may have made a mistake in purchasing. At least I don't have much in it...

Anyone have anything to tell me? The fact that the covering was rattle-canned tells me there's little to NO vintage value (unless you find these drums charming).

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Eh, I do find them charming, actually. Sorry to hear about the deficienties in your drum. Sometimes the best thing about an old MIJ drum is the wrap. I'm curious as to what the wrap is under the spray paint.

Like you pointed out, the edges were round-overs, not sharp 45 degree angles, and I prefer the sound of the round over edges. This was the common type of edge for that era.

If it's not too much trouble, could you throw up a pic or two for the few of us that actually are into the old MIJ stuff?

Posted on 13 years ago

From cn679

Eh, I do find them charming, actually. Sorry to hear about the deficienties in your drum. Sometimes the best thing about an old MIJ drum is the wrap. I'm curious as to what the wrap is under the spray paint.Like you pointed out, the edges were round-overs, not sharp 45 degree angles, and I prefer the sound of the round over edges. This was the common type of edge for that era.If it's not too much trouble, could you throw up a pic or two for the few of us that actually are into the old MIJ stuff?

I did not mean to offend. I may end up appreciating this old drum. I may even get a set or two of Apollos in the end...

Just there were so many things that are polar opposite of what I am used to when it comes to Japanese workmanship. But I also forgot that the Japanese were once where the Chinese are currently in workmanship- inconsistent quality with high-quality finishes and improving by the day.

Yeah- there was a champagne sparkle wrapped drum that was quite attractive in that pile o' drums. This fellow was a dealer, and at one point sold four sets per day!!!!

Pic will come some. How do us lot who use Macs resize our pics for this forum?

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Positives: I love the lug casing design on these drums. If it weren't for the non-standard lugs, I would be in total love with these lugs.

The centre re-ring is odd, but charming, as well. I wonder if this plays a role in resonance?

I don't know if the inner finish is stock. It's kinda strange, but it's growing on me.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Prolly a Star, if the lug size p is sed you off. This is one of the idiosyncrasies we live with on a daily basis. These roundover edges really can make some sweet tones, you just need to leave all the other stuff at the curb. Smooth over the edges with some 220 grit sandpaper and see what happens.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

No offense taken, no worries. Does your drum have both rims and all the t-rods? Or are you missing some or half? If it really bothers you, you can get standard swivel-nuts (the inserts of the lugs, where the t-rods screw into) and standard rods. Standard swivel-nuts will fit into the lugs, or should with a very small amount of filing on 2 sides, and it'll be set up for standard t-rods.

By 'inner finish' do you mean the gray paint? Yeah, like most other characteristics of these drums, that interior finish was most likely 'borrowed' from one of the American companies. Not sure which, maybe Rogers? Anyway, the gray paint didn't make it onto all the Star made drums (Star is the manufacturer that most likely made your Apollo drum, as John just pointed out.) Seems like it was kind of a later development.

Posted on 13 years ago

Found some swivel nuts...

220 grit around the edges? I will try it...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

From cn679

No offense taken, no worries. Does your drum have both rims and all the t-rods? Or are you missing some or half? If it really bothers you, you can get standard swivel-nuts (the inserts of the lugs, where the t-rods screw into) and standard rods. Standard swivel-nuts will fit into the lugs, or should with a very small amount of filing on 2 sides, and it'll be set up for standard t-rods.By 'inner finish' do you mean the gray paint? Yeah, like most other characteristics of these drums, that interior finish was most likely 'borrowed' from one of the American companies. Not sure which, maybe Rogers? Anyway, the gray paint didn't make it onto all the Star made drums (Star is the manufacturer that most likely made your Apollo drum, as John just pointed out.) Seems like it was kind of a later development.

It does not have all of the t-rods. I am missing 9 of them.

Yes, greyish paint. Kinda like Rogers interiors (I had some NOICE Rogers. boo hoo, sniff* sniff*), except for no splatter paint.

Yeah- the lugs kinda match the Premier lugs and are very reminiscent of the Shark-tooth Premier lugs. At least they match from 10 feet away...

What's the story on the centre re-ring?

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Also, try to use single ply heads. I am hearing some very good vibes from the new-ish Aquarian Z-100 coated heads (avail in 10"-22" sizes..call Aquarian if you think I am mistaken). They seem to be more supple than Remo A mbs and take less time to "break-in"...don't know why, just my observation. And the coating is guaranteed not to flake off like the Remo coating.

HOWEVER, if there is grey paint, they will have different ply configuration, and you may well have a mixed set. Some are thin shells with re-rings and others are thicker???

The "centre" re-ring on...the bass? it is there to strengthen the shell against the crushing weight of...wait for it....the mounted tom...yeah. These are extremely thin ply shells (of goodness knows what woods) of dubious quality, but when properly restored, renovated and tuned, they have a deep, dark, woodie tone that will blow your mind.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

This is actually a 16" floor tom, so the centre re-ring makes no sense. Also, it is not a true 16" x 16", as the shell depth is 14 3/4". Weird, weird stuff...

I have to admit- not a fan of coated heads, especially since I play Paiste Colorsound cymbals. That stupid white coating just sticks to my cymbals. Is this a heavier or lighter single-ply head that you recommend?

How would you sand the bearing edge? Kiss it with the 220? Follow the contour of the bearing edge?

I am definitely ordering some swivel nuts to modernise this drum. Heck- I might like it so much with my Premier mongrel kit that I may just go for broke and recover this all to match. This drum has no badge, and I will not "fake" it with a Premier badge.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here