Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Apollo Drum Set

Any body out there have an apollo drum set ?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, I have an Apollo set in WMP. 12/13/16/20. There's pics of it on the forum somewhere.

Did you want to know something specific about them?

Posted on 14 years ago

From Sly Dawgg

Any body out there have an apollo drum set ?

I have an Apollo Snare, and I love the Star drums. How can I help?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

Yes, I have an Apollo set in WMP. 12/13/16/20. There's pics of it on the forum somewhere.Did you want to know something specific about them?

Just looking for a way to identify the year, model etc..

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I have an Apollo Snare, and I love the Star drums. How can I help?

Thanks for the reply. Just looking for a way to identify year,model etc..

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, unfortunately, there really isn't a way to find an exact date on these drums. We can pin them down to an era, and your set was likely made sometime around 1967-1971. It's hard to get any closer than that.

There may be some catalog pages somewhere on the net that might show a model name, but I haven't found any.

Other than that, we can tell you what you probably already know, that your set was made by Star (the company that would later become Tama,) has a cool looking blue satin flame wrap, a somewhat rare double tom mount, Sonor copy 'teardrop' style lugs (off-set on the rack toms,) no reinforcement rings, shells made of luan, (maybe 5-6 ply?) and your shells are probably painted grey on the inside.

Forum member Stash posted about the connection between Apollo drums and St. Louis a while back, "The Apollos are plentiful in St. Louis because the now shuttered St. Louis Music used to distribute them in the 60s to area retailers -- one in particular was Mel Bay Music in Kirkwood."

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

Well, unfortunately, there really isn't a way to find an exact date on these drums. We can pin them down to an era, and your set was likely made sometime around 1967-1971. It's hard to get any closer than that.There may be some catalog pages somewhere on the net that might show a model name, but I haven't found any.Other than that, we can tell you what you probably already know, that your set was made by Star (the company that would later become Tama,) has a cool looking blue satin flame wrap, a somewhat rare double tom mount, Sonor copy 'teardrop' style lugs (off-set on the rack toms,) no reinforcement rings, shells made of luan, (maybe 5-6 ply?) and your shells are probably painted grey on the inside.Forum member Stash posted about the connection between Apollo drums and St. Louis a while back, "The Apollos are plentiful in St. Louis because the now shuttered St. Louis Music used to distribute them in the 60s to area retailers -- one in particular was Mel Bay Music in Kirkwood."Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thanks for the info. Love the set. Still sounds great .

Posted on 14 years ago

From Sly Dawgg

Just looking for a way to identify the year, model etc..

There's a little bit of info here:

http://www.drumarchive.com/Apollo/

Scott

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here