Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Anyone seen this snare before?

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has seen a snare like this before? I purchased this snare off Ebay about 6 years ago and the guy who I bought for said he didnt know what kind of snare drum it was. I was told it was his wife's dad's snare he used in high school and has been in their attic for 50 plus years.

There is no badge on the snare however there is a wide diamond shape sticker residue located on the inside snare. The strain tension key has this engraved on it Pat 1.23.1900 I assume that is the year in which this drum was made. Everything on the snare looks to be original and in great condition. Tuning this snare drum requiers a straight head screw driver. The snare measures 14''x3 1/2

The single head snare strainer(animal guts) is fixed to the bottom of the head and the bottom of the snare has decrotive bottom which is fixed onto the snare as it is one piece. If you or know someone who may know anything about this snare any info and perhaps value of this snare would help out

Thank you

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Beautiful, cool, love it! Is it art or a drum? Yes Sir

Patent date doesn't tell you the actual date it was made. Patent number will help. Someone could have put "patented" on something when it never was just to discourage anyone else from copying it.

If you can find the number marked on something, here's an age guide. This still doesn't say when it was made, just when it was patented.

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/datingpatentschart1.php

Posted on 14 years ago

Looks like it's a Soistman! Or at least he designed and patented the strainer.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/0641901.html - scroll down and view the full pdf file for pics.

-Lee

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here