Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Anyone make a Vistalite kit?

Wondering if any of you master builders have ever made a Vistalite kit? and if so where you got the shells? and what costs were involved...curious

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 12 years ago

Most builders building acrylic kits are using RCI shells.

Posted on 12 years ago

RCI makes everybody's Vistalite-style drums. Tama Starclassics with Smoke shells? RCI. Ludwig's new Vistalites? Same shells. Spaun? Same dealio...

What lugs you want?

drumfactorydirect has the best prices...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

RCI shells are very expensive. You need special bits to drill them and I would never in a million years attempt to put bearing edges on acrylic. It's all specialized work. It's so easy to ruin expensive shells. It's like working with glass; breaks/damages easily.

If you really, really want to do it, send the shells to Precision Drum or whoever and let the pro's cut your edges or drill your shells. If -they- muck them up, they will replace the shell, if -you- muck them up, you're out a heap of cake.

Custom acrylic drums are a very expensive proposition. Don't take any chances with an investment that large. Figure in the cost of hiring pro's to do the drilling and working the shells.

Not a project for your week-end warrior, that's for sure.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

RCI shells are very expensive. You need special bits to drill them and I would never in a million years attempt to put bearing edges on acrylic. It's all specialized work. It's so easy to ruin expensive shells. It's like working with glass; breaks/damages easily.If you really, really want to do it, send the shells to Precision Drum or whoever and let the pro's cut your edges or drill your shells. If -they- muck them up, they will replace the shell, if -you- muck them up, you're out a heap of cake.Custom acrylic drums are a very expensive proposition. Don't take any chances with an investment that large. Figure in the cost of hiring pro's to do the drilling and working the shells.Not a project for your week-end warrior, that's for sure.John

John,Is so right on this.At O.C.D.P. we used RCI shells.We had all the right bits for drilling and edgeing the shells.If you don't know what you are doing don't try to work on these types of shells.I have seen many vintage Ludwig,Fibes shells come into the shop that were worked on by someone who did not have a clue on how to work on them..Bad shells hard to fix if you can.As far as cost say a O.C.D.P. 5 pc set of wood shells sold for 2,500.00 add 1000.00 to 1,500.00 to that price for the vistalites shells...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Let me back pedal a bit here...

I misunderstood your question...

I did build an acrylic snare drum. If you are do to this yourself, I HIGHLY suggest someone else do your edges. Yeah- after having tried it myself, it is a lot less gut-wrenching to have someone experienced do your holes. I did drill my own holes for the lugs. I used up a couple of drill bits. Some people use a step bit. I used a small bit, then a slightly larger one and finished with a reamer. It turned out okay, and now I wish I had that drum back!!!!

Not a project for the inexperienced or faint of heart. And you're talking PLENTY of $$$.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

My bf and I are saving up to have some blue/clear C-pattern Vistalites made. ::Drool:: It might take us a couple of years to come up with the money, but it's going to be a "signature kit", so we really want to have something special. He told me there was no way we'd let anyone but Precision do the bearing edges/ drilling. In a couple of years, hopefully I'll show them off here! x-mas3

Posted on 12 years ago

You can buy them from the manufacturer with an edge already on them. Looked like a 30 dollar option, per drum. I don't know what precision charges to compare the two. I was kicking around making some octabons and stumbled upon RCI's site.

toodles

drumhack Excitedx-mas3The Bandx-mas2Burger Kin

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 12 years ago

I just drilled my cast acrylic shell with no trouble. Used a step bit....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 12 years ago

From slingerland

Wondering if any of you master builders have ever made a Vistalite kit? and if so where you got the shells? and what costs were involved...curious

I think this guy named Bill at Ludwig made them for a while. FYI DOH Yes Sir

"Play the drum...don't let it play you" - Max Roach

1968, 1974 & 1984 Rogers Dyna•Sonic COB
1971, 1976 Slingerland GK Sound King
1973 Slingerland Festival
1920's-40's Slingerland (US Military) Field Snares (6)
19?- Ludwig Field Snare (US Marines)
1960's Premier Gold Glitter Student Snare kit
1960's-? MIJ Snares (way-way too many)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here