Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Anyone know info on this Lyra Drum set???

Greetings all,

My sons Grandfather just gave him a vintage drum set that is possibly 60+ years old? Its in good shape, but it does appear to be pretty vintage. Here is what I know about it. The tags says "Lyra Drums - Worlds Supreme Quality - Made in Japan". The bass drum is 23", there is a 13" tom above that, and a 16" floor tom, a snare drum with stand, a cymbal and high hat. All the hardware is original as well. The cymbal and high hat say "Stagemaster" on em. The cow bell is stamped with "Made in Japan", the pedal for the high hat says "Top Pedal" on it and the bass pedal is a double spring "Slingerland EPIC". The wood is straight, no sparkles paint etc. Any opinions on the year range? Value? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you[Attachment: 59182]

[Attachment: 59183]

[Attachment: 59184]

[Attachment: 59185]

[Attachment: 59186]

Posted on 11 years ago

Another pic of entire set...

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Its a *** kit..69/74 @

Most of these were made from the same builder.. Pearl /Tama

@ value $150/ $250 max..!

You might have some extra $$ in the cymbals if there of any value..

Look for some markings or stamping and supply pics..

I can help once I see a CLEAR pic..

On the flr tom (looks like it doesn't have any lugs/etc on the bottom)

did it come like that or is the bottom half missing..?

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 11 years ago

ok,,

Sorry I took another look..

Looks like the bottom halfs are removed as well as the other half of the bass drum..!

Also try to take another pic of the footpedal / this may be of interest to others..!

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 11 years ago

This set was made by Star, the company that would later become Tama. It looks a like an early-mid 60's set to me based on the rack tom mount and cymbal mount on the bass drum. Unfortunately, the wrap has been stripped from the shells, it wouldn't have been shipped from the factory like that originally. It could have been red or blue sparkle or any number of other finishes.

Depending on what you want to do with the set, and how much time/money you want to put into it, it can be a good player or practice set. Or you can just play it as is and enjoy an old set that has seen some better days. There is not too much value in the set as is. Quite a few missing parts. I would say maybe $100-125 or so, not accounting for the cymbals if they are higher quality.

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted on 11 years ago

Hi and Welcome,

Depending on where you live: over here in Germany this set wouldn't bring you more than just EUR 20 - 50.

Ralf

NB: You may check out my website (see below), showing where Lyra comes from ;-)

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 11 years ago

I got a set of Lyras when I was 11 years old, 1964. They were one of the cheapest sets on the market. Not bad sound though. I played them for about 5 years till I got my Rogers.[Attachment: 118076]

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

60's MIJ kit, missing wrap and other parts, $100.00 MAX, imo.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here