Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Anyone heard of "DUKE" drums?

There is this kit on craigslist that I am thinking about checking out. The owner says they are "Duke" drums. Looks like a white satin flame finish. They have some weird center mounted rail mount going on with the toms.

These pics are the standard bad CL pics, but does anyone know anything about them based on what is visible? I assume they are a Pearl made stencil kit. Can anyone tell what the bass drum pedal or stands might be from the pics?

THanks for any help!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Star. They rail is a longer one, my Majestic has that longer rail and it works nicely. The lugs are Sonor Teardrop copies and the shells are more than likely 6 ply mahogany. Don't let that deter you, a little edge work and they are great sounding drums. Is that a 20-12-13-14 or are the toms 12-12? And since it is a complete kit, you are more than likely up against a higher price than I would pay, but it is complete..and that is a white satin flame. Common for Star.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

After closer inspection, as best as I can see, it does look like a 20-12-12-14 and snare, so if you can get them, I would. If you want to PM the details, I'll give my strategy on C/L listors...and the flakes they expect.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

Here are some more pics. I think I am gonna grab em. It sounds like 225 for everything. Hard cases, hardware, kingston cymbals. I am still not sure of the sizes. Gotta ask.

Slingerland bass pedal.

Tama hi-hat stand.

Seems like a deal right?

-Ad

5 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Put 200 cash in his hand...he will take it.If he says .."I dont know"..just say fine,i,ll take back the 200...Try getting the cash in 10,s.It looks like a lot more:D

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I think for everything listed it's a good deal. That badge is pretty interesting - not your typical Star badge at all. Is that a dual tension snare? On a MIJ??? Awesome. I'd love to have one of those for one of my snare drums!

The wrap looks nice and the set seems to be in good condition overall. I'd say grab them, throw some coated Emperors on them, and you'll have a great sound. (I highly recommend getting some of the Gibraltar floating floor tom feet - they're like Nike Airs for floor toms, and they love them!)

If you can, please post some more pics of the snare!

Posted on 14 years ago

From cn679

I think for everything listed it's a good deal. That badge is pretty interesting - not your typical Star badge at all. Is that a dual tension snare? On a MIJ??? Awesome. I'd love to have one of those for one of my snare drums! The wrap looks nice and the set seems to be in good condition overall. I'd say grab them, throw some coated Emperors on them, and you'll have a great sound. (I highly recommend getting some of the Gibraltar floating floor tom feet - they're like Nike Airs for floor toms, and they love them!) If you can, please post some more pics of the snare!

That is a "copy" of the dual tension microsenssitive, and it works nicely to eliminate buzz from the snare wires. You can set them really low for an almost parallel strainer type of trow off if you use the med wgt snare side head, and it really is noce for getting a perfect tune on your snare.

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, sign me up! Dual tension would be an awesome feature on any snare drum. I just haven't seen this piece on a MIJ before. I wonder if there is a system that could fit the existing holes for a standard snare butt. (Might be something to look into for my Apollo snare.) Plus, anything to help with the finicky, not-so-stellar MIJ strainers would be fantastic.

Posted on 14 years ago

Eh...225 seems like a deal to me. I am first in line of 5 people right now. The kit looks really clean and honestly it is more of a collection thing for me than a kit I plan on playing...even though I will head em up and see what they can do. I have been looking for a cool MIJ kit, and this one seems as cool as any....especially if it IS 20/12/12/14. The matching snare seals the deal.

Could probably ditch the cases, hi-hat stand and cymbals on CL and get over half of the price back easy. Plus I don't have one of those Slingerland pedals yet Violin I am totally into collecting pedals lately!

Thanks for the input guys! I will post some pics when I get it all cleaned up and looking nice! Now the only question is....how do I find a "DUKE" decal for the bass drum? Probably impossible unless I scan the badge and make my own huh? This site didn't even have a record of "THE DUKE OF DRUMS".

Funny, and totally cool imo!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

I would keep the cases and cymbals if I were you. The Kingston cymbals are original to the set (MIJ.) They are not great cymbals, they dont sound very good and they can be damaged pretty easily. They wont bring in much money on CL due to their 'weird' sound, so I would keep them as a collectable part of the set. Also, this may help with resale if you decide to let the kit go at some point. Kind of like having a matching snare. Ditto the cases.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here