Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Anyone every try a Gelcoat?

Backstory: I traded with a very nice pro drummer for a Rogers kit with a pretty mangled wrap. De-wrapped the whole kit, fixed some ply separation issues and cleaned up the hardware. The shells are in good shape, a bit more time on the prep and they might be a good candidate for paint. I had been looking at the Jammin' sam's wrap and just get a local drum builder to apply it for me. I'd be looking at somewhere between 2 and 3 bills. for everything.

My Question: I recently had the thought of using a gelcoat on the shells. I want a very sparkly vintage finish on these drums. Preferably a Champagne sparkle but that stuff is harder to find than beers at a Mormon BBQ. I was wondering if it is possible to have a gelcoat applied to the plywood shells and what a job like that would end up costing me.

I'm in the Phoenix area, so if anyone could recommend a good gelcoat-er in my area I'd be much obliged. The reason I'm interested in gelcoat is because it would be much more resistant to damage than a painted finish. Or so I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I could go with a good, durable flake paint job as well for about 2-3 bills then I'm open to that idea too. If I went with the wrap then I'd probably go with the Jammin Sam's wrap in turquois, like Adam's beautiful kit. In paint/gelcoat I'd probably go with champagne glitter.

Thanks in advance for your advice on the matter. Very excited to have a beautiful vintage kit that I can take out and show off.

Jazz snob in training

No relation the other KL from PA
Posted on 9 years ago

KL - Gelcoat is a marine paint for fiberglass boats right? If it'll go on fiberglass I don't see why it would not go on well-prepped and primed wood as well. Your idea of a flake paint job promises to deliver the elusive champ sparkle and it has the added benefit of being something just about any auto paint shop could do for you. Interesting idea for a project, please keep us posted.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here