Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Anybody know roughly how old this drum would be?

I was looking at buying this a month or so ago and changed my mind. I mentioned it it my wife and unknown to me she bought it and gave it to me for Christmas - she really hid it - you know leaving it to the last and saying "hey - what's that over there in the corner" (like I was wanting a BB gun or something).

All I know about it is some elderly gent sold it to a drum store in Victoria BC Canada.- saying his brother, who now is dead, owned it.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Wow...what a great gift ! Your wife scored a rare one....looks like it's in AMAZING shape, too.

Those lugs look to be early-Premier-ish...so it makes some sense that the badge reads "London".

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/my_collection_carlton_catalog.html

Nice catalog...but a DATE would help, eh ?

From the catalog and strainer....I would estimate this is older than the early '50's for sure.....

AHA ! http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/hayman_history.html

Yup...produced thru Premier from the '30's-50's. I am guessing the shell is birch...yes ????

What a nice collector's piece. Howzit sound ??[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for all that - you've been a great help.

The drum sound like a marching snare I guess. I took the top head off and put some lub on the top snare bed workings - they were a little stiff but are fine now. I had a Premier 2004 metal snare that I bought around 1973/74 I seem to remember. But, I sold it off when I sold my kit (1969 Gretsch 5pc) in 1976. That snare had the regular snares but it also had snares under the matter head. I really liked it and traded my Gretsch Champagne Satin Flame snare + a few bucks for it - sold it to Ray Ayotte at Drums Only! in Vancouver. I recently bought a Premier Signia Marquis snare - wow! That's a nice drum!

got to go now.........

Thanks again for your help and kind words.

Cheers,

Kona

Posted on 15 years ago

From the look of that color, I would say early to mid 70's as a guess. Things were pretty "psychedelic" back then as far as colors went! Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The article I linked to says that these stopped being produced in '68...so it's older than that. Also, the throwoff/strainer with the "slinky" snare wires...THAT's an old part...looks like fifties.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

You're right. I just don't know enough about Carlton. But, if it's a fifties drum with that color, then I would think it to be unusual. It's a very "mod" color! Late 60's maybe?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks guys for your input here - appreciated.

I was tuning down the ole batter head and I heard a crack/tearing sound - oooops! The heads are really old. So - I took both heads off - I'll just put some nice new heads on it because I want to play it. I'll keep the old heads. The batter has two .5 to .75 inch tears close to the bearing edge.

Written in pencile on the inside of the shell is the word "Red" - the drum is red - as you can see. I'm wondering if when it was being made that was written there so the drum maker could keep track of what color finish to apply.

The drum is not particularly made well. It looks great at a glance - and I'm not complaining - it's a nice drum - feels nice and has the die cast rims and all. But if you look carefully you can see the bottom stainer was put on slightly crooked. The inside shell seam is not perfect. I'm really picky hey?

In the big picture though - I'm glad to have it and it will make a very nice addition to my ever-growing kit. I may just keep it for show at Christmas too - it would look very nice near the tree with my ELP Memorabilia (shrine).

Thanks guys - and any other comments would be much appreciated.

Good job with this site - great stuff!

Kona

Posted on 15 years ago

Hello,

I just picked up a COB marching snare in need of refurbishing.

The lugs look like the one KONA and so do the rims?

I picked it up for $10 and would like to know what the worth could be when

I get it up and playing and possible when it was made.

I would need new snare wires and skins but the shell is dinged and well, not in excellent condition but it's still a shell regardless with sticker all over it.

Any ideas how to take stickers off without scratching the shell any further?

thanks

3 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hi WW....

The lugs are English as well, and the badge matches, so = same company. It's definitely a British drum.

Stickers...."goo-gone", "oops", or acetone are three liquids which remove glue residue...I suggest them in that order (not all three, though. Just whatever's available...goo-gone and opps being the better two products) But you gotta be gentle...that's chrome plating and it scratches so you cannot use anything abrasive to peel the glue off.

As far as value....it's just a chrome shell. It may be plated over brass..or plated over steel. se a magnet, see if it sticks. If it does, it's steel...if it doesn't, it's brass.

Brass is the preferable material...it's worth a bit more.

But it's a metal marching shell...so even all cleaned up and polished...with original hardware in functioning order.....worth maybe $75 on the used market. Unfortunate aspect is the dinged shell.

You could try, using a towel and rubber mallet, to undent the shell...or you could have an auto body shop try it if you REALLY wanted to get it cherry. The "home" version of the repair can be a bit risky, though...although I have done it on smaller shells a few times with decent results.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Probably early 1960s, Carlton were an English make (turned into Hayman - Free, "All Right Now" - Simon Kirke) see: http://www.drumarchive.com/carlton/

This is a Bagpipe band drum not designed for the woven heads you just broke - get them off, put Ambassadors on and it will sound great - the woven heads were developed for much higher tensiion drums...

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here