Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

any way to repair old cymbols?

I have two old zildjians that a jazz drummer in Long Beach gave me years ago. one is "keyholed" the other has some cracking in the bell where it mounts. Can these be repaired?

Thanks, Bob

Posted on 19 years ago

Bob:

Not sure if there's a fix for the keyholing, but if the cracks radiate out from the hole you may have success in drilling a tiny hole at the very end of the crack to stop any further advancement. Use your own judgement though. If the cracks are close together, drilling could cause a chunk to come out, thus ruining your day.

Back to the keyholing.....I have a old (purchased used) 16" Zildjian crash that is extremely keyholed and sort of hangs in the same position on the tilter and doesn't rotate. The big problem with that is it had developed several cracks from being struck in the same place all the time!!! (It's also now drilled, and I await the missing chunk)

Ken

Posted on 18 years ago

Bob,

Once a cybals has been keyholed you are screwed. You can continue to play it until it just doesn't sound good anymore but you can not fix a keyhole. Drilling a cybal does help for cracks. This is why it's good to actually use those little kits for cymbals that you can buy at the drum store. Keyholeing is caused by the cybals vibration on the post, if you use those rubber slips on your posts then the vibration issue is fixed. Easier to replace a 10 cent piece of rubber than a 2-4 hundred dollor cymbal.

Pie

Posted on 17 years ago

For keyholing, if a proper cymbal sleeve is used, you should be able to avoid further advancement of the damage. If your cymbal does not hang as you feel it should, you can install an appropriate sized badge grommet in the hole. Once in place, the cymbal should hang in a balanced way again. This may also help prevent small cracks around the mounting hole from getting worse.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here