Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Any interest in Royalstar 4pc kit?

Hello,

I'm the "proud" owner of a vintage 60's or 70's red sparkle "Royalstar Finast Quality Japan" (pre-Tama) 4 pc kit (20" bass, 12" tom, 14" floor tom, 14" snare). The shells and crome are in great shape, but my original kick pedal and snare stand need some re-work.

Does anyone have an idea of the value? I used to think the drums were junk (i.e. NOT Ludwig) in the 70s but after my nephew borrowed them and took them into a music store for new heads, he discovered the Tama connection and said they may be valuable.

Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, there is interest in SOME old Japanese kits. It seems to be a growing market. I think there were two basic factories in Japan that built all the Japanese drums of that era. One company was the Hoshino factory and...I forget the other one....Yamaha, perhaps? ....but I THINK the Hoshino factory is the one that produced Tama stuff.

As far as value? I have no idea. I think a lot of this particular market depends on the aesthetics -things like the color, the condition of the chrome, everything original and in excellent operating condition. My guess is that older Yamaha drums are probably the most collectible ones right now, but I have also seen old Pearl sets on Ebay go for as much as a vintage Ludwig kit -because of the finish and the condition...over $800.00 for a root beer oyster pearl wrapped finish -never seen another one quite like it. Things like that add value.

If you could post some pictures of the kit here, then that would be immensly helpful in determining a guess as to what they might be worth. Without pictures, it's very difficult.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Post some pictures I am a bit intersted in the kit.. and it will make it a hell of a lot easier to find out the specifics about the kit.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Also I have an old Tama stencil kit from the 60's. It sounds nice, its not like its a slingerland or anything but it does its job well. The value I have figured out to be was about 225-275. So the value isnt mesmorizing (if it is please tell me =P) but its not bad for a stencil kit.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here