Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Any info/pics of Slingerland Tone Flange?

I only caught glimpse of an old ad for omne of these strange drums. I would love to know more about them.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Yes, the tone flange from my understanding started early whern Slingerland was making banjos. (Which you see on Ebay all of the time)

Mike Curotto is the expert on the topic, but I can scrounge up some pictures.

Rob Cook's book states there were three types and I would think MIke

has examples of all three.

Let's see if he can give us some pics.

Whenever I see a tone flange snare the tone flange is usually missing. For whatever reason they were taken out.

I have some catalog scans of them.

I will post them

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks, David! Interesting stuff!

Posted on 18 years ago

Mike Curotto sent me these pictures of his drums and shots of the tone flange. He has reproduction tone flanges.

Posted on 18 years ago

GREAT! Now I'm even MORE confused! HA! -but seriously...what the heck??? What are the significance of those screws in the bearing edge and how does it all fit together? Thanks! great stuff...albeit confusing! ;)

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

GREAT! Now I'm even MORE confused! HA! -but seriously...what the heck??? What are the significance of those screws in the bearing edge and how does it all fit together? Thanks! great stuff...albeit confusing! ;)

The screws act as a resting place for the brass ring since there is no bearing edge for the head to rest on as the head is on the Tone flange...each screw is aligned to each lug, 10 lugs = 10 screws...the top to bottom order is; head (oversize), tone flange, brass ring...BTW, I have a nice 1930s Slingerland solid mahogany Tone flange Artist Model on eBay (item #7404074635)

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago

Wow! VERY interesting! Thanks, Mike! That's a cool snare drum....I'm fascinated by the mechanism. I just can't fathom what the POINT was behind this complex design. It seems there must have been some kind of specific idea in mind for the sound. The screws in the bearing edge thing is just plain weird!

How would you describe the sound, Mike?

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Wow! VERY interesting! Thanks, Mike! That's a cool snare drum....I'm fascinated by the mechanism. I just can't fathom what the POINT was behind this complex design. It seems there must have been some kind of specific idea in mind for the sound. The screws in the bearing edge thing is just plain weird! How would you describe the sound, Mike?

For what they are they do sound well focused...again, it's a 75+ year old snare drum with calf heads and original wires...I have heard a few with plastic heads and they do sound good, I even heard one with the head only on top (minus the TF, ring and the 10 wood screws) so the the head was right on top of the "bearing" edge...it actually sounded really good....all of my Tone Flange Artist/Fancher Models are set up as they would have been 75+ yrs. ago...calf heads, original hardware and gut/wire/silk-wound wires. These drums are way harder to find than the Ludwig & Ludwig Models of the same era...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here