Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Any info about this drum?

My best friend who is also a drummer was given this drum a few years back by a guy who collected old drums. It's been sitting in his basement ever since then and he just gave it to me in hopes that I can do something with it...

First off, I don't know anything about this drum... date, company etc. It's obviously very old.... the drum had old old heads on them that were ripped the shreds.... the drum head was made of a wood hoop and then the skin... I'm not sure when they started using metal in heads? The drum measures ~15.5 inches by about ~3.8 inches. just the size of the drum leads me to belive that it is very old.... to me it looks like it's 1 solid ply with reinforcement rings made of out of a different wood... The wood hoops are in perfect condition as well as the shell.

The shell has not been drilled at all... the lug system is pretty neat, and similar to a lot of Brazilian and other drums... (I put on one of the lugs, which is rusted, just to show you what it looks like)... basically it's two claws grabbing onto the wood hoops and a long tension rod... so tightening the top head tension rod also tightens the bottom. The snare was very old (a bunch of wires cut to similar lengths)... there is no butt plate... how it works is there are two small metal parts on the wood hoops (see picture), you put a tension rod through them, and then you can mount the butt plate on the that.

does anyone know what this shell is worth... you don't see a lot of really really old perfect condition un drilled shells out there... is it worth putting the money into restoring it?

Any help would be appreciated

Posted on 16 years ago

If it has all of the parts then it will not take much money to restore it. Most of the time will be in the labor it takes to clean and buff out the parts.

These drums are not worth much. Based on todays standards of playing they are just not capable of doing the job. So people do not collect them as much as drums which are better suited to play.

They are more a historical link to the past and this one can be any where from the early 1900's on up.

Drum companies kept them in their catalogs for many years...

It is hard to say exactly who made that one since they were all so similar.

Maybe if you show the drum complete it might help...

So in the end probably $50 - $100 at best...

Of course others might have a different opinion and that is just mine...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I have a drum similar to this one, but more colorful. It actually has a partial sticker left on it near the pressure hole.

I'll have to post photos in here sometime. I thought the partial sticker may give someone a clue about it.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here