Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

any idea what Make are these MIJ Drums ??

I just bought this MIJ kit on a whim today I just had to buy them.

I have NO idea what make they are or what this color finish called ...

This old stencil kit still has original heads and the chrome is nearly perfect with No pits or rusties

Any of you experts out there, have any ideas what these are star ?? pearl ??

I'd love to find this wrap to do a matching snare

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi mgtcnut!!

OMG!! I had an identical set, but in a "root beer" wrap, back in 2003! Like yours, my kit had no badges, but I believe they were made by Star, who would eventually become Tama. The biggest clue is the shape of the tom bracket, which was unique to Star.

As for finding your wrap, my gut says "good luck"! Both your wrap and my "root beer" wrap were very unique!

Congrats on your really cool early-60's MIJ kit!

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the info I guessed that they were Star I'm guess now I'll order a bass drum logo to dress up the kit a bit

Posted on 2 years ago

Beautiful drums! Congrats and enjoy.

Mike

Posted on 2 years ago

Love the T handles on the bass

Posted on 2 years ago

Hello,

THE FOLLOWING WORDING IS NOT CORRECT ANY MORE - SORRY:

..... I'm afraid I must disappoint you all. At first sight, it really looked like a Star made kit.

..... But there are some tiny small divergences from Star:

..... - the 'slip-on' tom bracket here has 8 screws, as the inner part is fixed in this way, too:

....... Star one's had only 4 screws in total and the inner part was somehow pressed out of the plate,

..... - the tom holder bracket on the bass drum is rectangular: Star always made rhombic shape brackets only,

..... - the wrap: never appeared at any of the Star catalogues (also not under Tama lateron).

Attached please find a Star made tom bracket. Unfortunately, I have no clue who made these drums here.

Ralf

1 attachments
Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Ralf!

As always, I defer to your knowledge of these vintage MIJ drums! I'm aware that there were times when the major MIJ factories would share parts when supplies were short. So, yes, it's difficult to really nail down what company built these. And, I've also never seen these wraps offered by the "big three" Japanese drum companies!

However, in looking at some of my vintage catalogs, only Star used that style of floor tom leg bracket in the early 60's. So, that is another possible clue!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Mark,

Apologise: I was wrong. In the meantime I found on my own web site some photos of a very early Star kit

(... I' getting older - sorry ...):

https://www.star-drums.de/photos-of-drum-kits/very-first-star-kit/

Indeed, it has a rectangular bass drum bracket and an 8-screw-mounted-tom-bracket as well. I also noticed the unique floor tom brackets. But in this case the fixing is done by a screw, what confused me. The early Star brackets used some kind of a counter-clip to fix the position of the floor tom leg (similar to Premier's style).

Maybe the screw there was added lateron?

Maybe the 2-folded floor tom legs were added lateron (the 1st Star's had straight legs)?

And also maybe that the kit was re-wrapped lateron?

As far as I recall, the early kits had a limited variety of sparkle and pearl wraps, only.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the input

I'll stick to the opinions that they made are Star.. maybe somebody changed the floor tom legs from straight to the curved style way back when, but the leg mounts appear to be 100% original along with the Wrap

Posted on 2 years ago

Beautiful wrap,whoever made them.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here