Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Antique Drumset - Leedy and Duplex

Any info anyone can provide about this antique drumset would be greatly appreciated. The big kick drum is a Duplex and the snare drum and all of the cymbals are Leedy. The snare drum is brass. The snare is black with engraving and the rims are gold. I have the original box and all of the hardware. All of the drum skins are original except for one side of the kick drum. Both of the drums have working porcelain lightbulbs inside of them. The only place we have been able to find a picture of similar kick drums is on a website for a musuem in Chicago and a museum in North Carolina. We know these were once played in St. Louis.

5 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

What a great find. Bass drums of this era are relatively common but original painted heads are collectible (and very cool). Duplex are less common than their Leedy or Ludwig and Ludwig counterparts. (Duplex was out of St. Louis.)

The snare is a 1920s Leedy Elite, made in the mid 1920s...if I could see apic of the throw off, I could date it a better. Leedy was largest drum manufacturer of the era, and the Elite was their top of the line snare drum, These are very collectible. Light fixtures were common for drums in the '20s...Leedy made their own version which they would mount for you...many times drummers put them in themselves, which can devalue the drum a bit. Very nice piece!

Posted on 18 years ago

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful. I can send a picture tonight of the throw off.

We do have somone coming tonight that is interested in buying the snare drum only. We were told by a local music dealer to keep the set together, do you think that's a good idea?

Any idea of what the value of the snare drum is? How about the Duplex? The set as a whole?

Posted on 18 years ago

I think the drums are beautiful...I did some quick research on your snare and found the following info:

Back in 1992 Ned Ingberman of the Vintage Drum Center gave the Leedy Black Elite an estimated value of $1300 - $1800.

http://vintagedrum.com/leedy_black_elite_snare.htm

The Jollity Drum Farm ( www.drumfarm.com ) currently has one for sale that does not look as nice as yours for $1475.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 18 years ago

Since the bass is a Duplex, and the snare is a Leedy, there's no real need, historical or value wise to keep the set together. THe bass isn't reall worth much anyway, as the head is ripped. If you have a local buyer, and want to get rid of the stuff, I'd make him take the bass anyway, as shipping them can be a pain!

The Leedy Elite you have is the most common of all the Elites. In excellent condition, with all original parts, and no extra holes, $900-1000 is top dollar. Unoriginal heater holes will bring the value down. (Ned's prices are generally unrealistic compared to what most collector's pay.)

I think if you put the whole set together on ebay, you'd probably get $1000 for it. If you post more pics of the snare, including shots of the throw-off and any heaters, I can modify that.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here